December Concert Info & News
December 2, 2022
- Pep Band Night Sign-Up (new date)
- Solo Performance Options & Registration (due Dec. 6)
Concert & Arrival Times
CHMS December Concert – Monday Dec. 12th
@ Sun Prairie East High School PAC
w/ Patrick Marsh & SP East Bands
Students can be dropped off at Door #3 while adults park & find seating in PAC
6th Band (6:30pm Concert)
- Warm-up @ 6pm in SP East Choir Room
- Put cases & coats in hallway
7th Grade Band (6:30pm Concert)
- Warm-up @ 6:45pm in SP East Choir Room
- Put instrument cases & coats in hallway
8th Grade Band (8pm Concert)
- Warm-up @ 7:30pm in SP East Choir Room
Concert - What to Bring & Wear
Instruments & Music
- Students will be responsible for transportation of their instrument to and from this concert.
Please plan ahead and let us know if you are in need of assistance.
7th Grade Band & 6th Grade A Day - take your instrument home on Friday 12/9 since they won't have Band on Monday.
*NEW INFO* Concert Uniform
- Black pants & solid color top
- Goal is to look similar and connected to keep focus on the whole group's music
- What about the shirt? Supply chain issues have slowed this done - they will be ready to send home in late December or early January.
December Concert - Help Needed w/ Clean-Up
- Cleaning up the Choir Room (warm-up space)
- Getting equipment back to Central Heights
This would be after the 8th Grade Concert, around 8:45pm. If you/your family can help out, even for a bit - please email. Thanks!!
Solo & Ensemble Registration & Performance Options
All Band students are (or will be) learning a solo to further develop their individual musical growth and confidence.
Option #1, Saturday 2/11– official WSMA Solo & Ensemble Festival, Central Heights
Fees are involved to cover registration
Registration Form (due Thursday 12/1)
Option #2, Thursday 2/9– Solo Night @ CHMS, 3:45 – 6:30pm
There are no fees involved for Solo Night
This is designed for students who are not able to attend on Saturday or would prefer a different option
No action required right now - students will sign up for a time in early January
What's the difference?
- Both opportunities give students a chance to perform in front a professional music educator (other than Mr. Melrose & Mr. Metcalf). They will strengthen their skill to perform in front of others and learn feedback different from what they hear at school.
- "WMSA Festival" has the option for students to receive rating and has a more traditional/serious feel to it.
- "Solo Night" is more laid back and only about comments and feedback (no ratings).
STAY TUNED for volunteer opportunities (concessions, door monitors, set-up, tear-down, etc...)
*NEW DATE* Friday 1/6* Pep Band Night with High School EPOCH Sound
How do you participate?
- SIGN UP HERE
- Read the FULL information letter (note - performance date is now Friday 1/6)
- Pay $6 fee (includes bussing & pizza dinner on 1/6)
- Come to rehearsals (Friday 12/9, 12/16) after school
- Come to the event on Friday 1/6
Information & Music is posted in Google Classroom.
Band Calendar & Upcoming Dates
Linked above is our calendar for the year. Please communicate in as much advance as possible with any conflicts and reach out if you have any questions.
Monday December 12, Winter Concert @ SP East (6:30pm - 6th & 7th, 8pm - 8th)
Friday January 6 - Pep Band Night @ SP East, optional (3 - 8pm)
Thursday February 9, Central Heights Solo Night, 3:45 - 6:30pm
Saturday February 11, WSMA Solo & Ensemble @ Central Heights
Tuesday February 14, Piano Solo Night @ SP East
Tuesday February 28, Central Heights Band & Orchestra Combined Concert
Band Lesson & Practice Tips
Every band student will receive a weekly private lesson for about 10 minutes with Mr. Melrose or Mr. Metcalf (part-time music teacher).
Want to know if how students are doing in their lesson?
- get connected to Google Classroom (if not already, send me an email & I'll get you connected)
Is it hard to remember to make time to practice? Use the "Attach" method.
Basically think of something you do regularly every day (eat a snack, screen time, walk a pet, etc..) and ATTACH practicing to that time. This will help it become connected to a habit you already do and won't feel like something totally new and hard.
- 7th & 8th grade have new mallets & sticks to order. Check pg. 2 of the above document
- NEED HELP? Just ask.
How to order:
- Click button below "Ward-Brodt - Supplies"
- Select "Central Heights - Band"
- Select Instrument