ELL PARENT NEWSLETTER
Translate this newsletter
Find the box to the right to translate this newsletter.
Encuentre la caja a la derecha para traducir este boletin.
ابحث عن المربع الموجود على اليمين لترجمة هذه النشرة الإخبارية.
Найдите поле справа, чтобы перевести этот информационный бюллетень.
Tìm ô bên phải để dịch bản tin này.
TIPS FOR A GREAT SCHOOL YEAR!
1. Talk to your children about school on regular bases!
It can be challenging to get them to talk so ask open-ended questions, here are some examples:
"What was the best part of your day at school?"
"Can you tell me one good thing that happened today? One not so good?"
"Can you share something you are grateful for today?"
Also, ask for the teachers' names, and be aware of the information that will come home the first week of school, this will include all the class information, expectations, supplies needed, etc.
2. Make sure you have a mystudent account, keep it up to date and check it on regular bases.
If you have questions about how to open an account or navigate, please contact us.
3. Designate an area and time for homework. It does not need to be elaborated, the dining table will do! Just make sure there are NOT major distractions around, no tv or radio on, and make school supplies available for them. Also, a nice encouraging quote nearby or some positive words will go a long way. A simple " I believe in you" or "I know you will try your best today" will do.
4. Print out the school calendar and consider "bookmarking" your children's schools on your phone.
5. Encourage (and help) them to set goals and reward them when they reach those milestones. This will help show them that their hard work is paying off.
But also remember to praise the effort and not only the outcome.
6. Encourage other activities outside of academics. Participating in sports, music, or art activities can help children learn teamwork, discipline, and other important skills.
7. Help them stay organized, a planner is a key tool, and folders for every subject area and post-it can help greatly.
8. Remember to model the behaviors you expect: let them see you writing down dates on the calendar, using a planner, reading and also exercising, helping others, and caring for yourself.
You are your children's greatest model!
9. Last but not least, remember teachers, school counselors, and all school personnel are here to help! Reach out with questions, or at the first sight of struggles so that a system of support can be put in place.
WISHING EVERYONE A GREAT SCHOOL YEAR!
BACK TO SCHOOL ASSISTANCE FOR STUDENTS IN NEED
Any English Language Learner can reach out to a number of organizations to obtain free school supplies.
The CARE.com site @ https://www.care.com/c/7-ways-to-get-free-school-supplies/ outlines eight ways that free supplies can be obtained.
The following site @ https://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html/find_free_school_supplies.html (scroll down) provides a Florida-focused county-by-county list of sites that help with school supply provisions.
Parent's bill of rights
APPLICATIONS FOR FREE AND REDUCE LUNCH MUST BE COMPLETED
This year completing the application is required.
WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU!
Please follow us on social media, and contact us if you have questions or concerns regarding your student ESOL services.