Blanchard HS Band
May 2015 Newsletter
The end of another school year has arrived...
Calendar of Upcoming Events
- May 4th, Drumline auditions after school; guard clinic, 5:30-8:00pm
- May 4th, Banquet money due! $13/ticket
- May 5th, Drum major auditions during 1st hour
- May 7th, Guard clinic & auditions, 5:30-8:00pm
- May 9th, HS Band Banquet @6:30pm; First United Methodist Church
- May 12th, MS Spring Concert @7pm; BHS Gymnasium
- May 14th, HS Spring Concert @7pm; University of Oklahoma
- May 15th & 16th, Band Garage Sale (May Daze)
- May 18th, Graduation!
- May 20th, Last day of school
- May 21st & 22nd, Spring Band Training; 9am-3pm
- July 27th-31st, Summer Band; 2pm-10pm
- August 3rd-7th, Summer Band; 2pm-10pm
- August 10th, Evening rehearsal; 6:30-9pm
- August 11th, Evening rehearsal; 6:30-8pm
- August 11th, Parent Performance; 8:00pm
- August 15th, Uniform Checkout
Thank you to everyone for a phenomenal trip to Branson, Missouri! The kids were excellently behaved and our chaperones, as always, were out of this world helpful! We aren't able to take trips like this without a supportive band family who trusts us. We appreciate everyone who played a role in making this trip happen. Now, onto New York City, 2016!!!
Band Banquet is Saturday
May Daze Band Garage Sale
We are able to store our items at a building the school recently acquired (thanks Mr. Brooks!) so we won't all have to store things at home. If you have a small load, feel free to drop it off at the band room and we'll move it to the building. If you have a large load or any particularly large items, contact Ms. K. and we'll schedule to meet at the building for drop off. The address is 511 10th St. (it's the white building just east of the back road into the HS).
There will be more times available to work. An email and tweet will be sent out once we've situated everything. Note that if your student is working at the garage sale but isn't actually working, he/she will be signed out and not paid. There have been issues in the past where hanging out took over and working stopped, and students will not be paid if they are not helping. When students arrive to work they will need to check in with Jessica and get their work assignment. When they leave they need to sign out with her as well.
The garage sale will be held at the Blanchard First United Methodist Church.
Thanks for supporting your Blanchard Bands!
End of year info, Summer Repair, and more!
HS Band Students of the Month!!
- Samantha is a freshman trombone player and has shown incredible improvement throughout the course of the year. She is very shy and doesn't say much, but even that has changed since the fall. Not only is she taking care of her parts, but she's helping keep others on task as well. In regards to her playing, she used to need someone else playing her part with her but now she is completely independent and can play the lines totally on her own! She has done so well that her quartet went to state contest and earned a superior rating! We are extremely proud of you and all that you have become, Samantha!
- Kambry plays the horn and is a freshman. She has been a consistently solid performer and has taken lessons since she started playing horn in the 7th grade. She earned a seat in honor band this year and also competed at solo and ensemble, earning superior ratings. Beyond her wonderful playing ability, she is a very kind, loving, and accepting person who doesn't have anything bad to say about anyone. She find the best in everything and everyone and always spins things to a positive outlook. Thank you for being a beautiful person in every way, Kambry!
- Alex is a sophomore percussionist and has really applied herself to music this year. She earned an honor band spot, performed both a solo and ensemble for contest, and added a new group, the Central Oklahoma Youth Percussion Ensemble, to her repertoire. This group met Saturday mornings for a couple of months, rehearsed new music, and gave their concert this last Saturday. There were a few other Blanchard students involved as well as students from Clinton, Norman, and Edmond. Alex has also done a great job as a leader in her section throughout the year. She steps up every time we need her and we know we can depend on her for anything! We are very proud of you and all you have accomplished this year, Alex!
"Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough." -Franklin D. Roosevelt
How to get credit for your monthly newsletter grade! Due by Thursday, May 14th!
Remember, newsletters are only accepted during the month of the newsletter. Once the month has passed, that newsletter can no longer be submitted.