News from Mrs. Hilcher- Principal of Grapevine Elementary
Week of August 21-25
We are thrilled to welcome your GES Star(s) to the 17-18 school year tomorrow! Our staff has been eagerly preparing their classrooms and planning awesome learning opportunities for all of our learners. We are aware that the first days of school are a unique time for your family. We will allow parents to escort their children to the their classroom door Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of this week. Thursday, 8/24, will be our 'independence day' and students will walk to their classrooms with their peers. We appreciate your cooperation!
*Make sure to use the hashtag #back2GCISD on Twitter for your first day pictures and you may be featured on the district's social media pages!
In an abundance of caution, all GES students will be inside by 12noon. Students and staff will have an altered schedule to eliminate outside time during peak eclipse time of 12:30-1:30 pm. We appreciate the offer of viewing glasses, but are unable to utilize them. Parents wishing to view the partial eclipse with their children will need to check them out of school through the front office.
If you are wanting more information, NASA has provided resources regarding the eclipse that may be found by using this link.
Meet Our Outstanding GES Staff!
Front Loop Changes
You will notice that on the ground it is painted Thru Lane Only - this is for buses and daycare shuttles. Additionally the handicap parking spot has been moved forward, which provides one more drop-off space on the front drive. We understand there are parents who wish to walk their students into the building and in those instances we ask that you please park in the designated lot behind the school.
On Monday, we will provide parents with a car sign to further increase efficiency during afternoon pick up. On the back of the sign will be instructions for drop-off and pick-up.
Please let us also remember that our number one priority is the safety of our students. We ask that you be mindful, whether dropping off in the front or the back, of students and staff in the crosswalk and we appreciate your patience in ensuring our GES Stars get to school safely.
Arrival & Dismissal Procedures
Students are expected to be dropped off at the school no earlier than 7:15 unless enrolled in KidzU's before school care
Parents may use the front OR the back driveway to drop students in the morning. Parking is NOT available in the front driveway of the school until after 7:45am. Please park in the back parking lot and walk your student in through the back doors.
Student drop off is not permitted in the parking lot at any time
GES staff will supervise students in the gym (3-5) and cafeteria (K-2) from 7:15am until the first bell rings at 7:35am-when they are dismissed to their classrooms
All GES students will walk independently down the instructional hallways to their classrooms after the first three days of school.
Students must be in their seats in their classrooms at 7:40am or they will be counted as tardy
- All students will be escorted to their dismissal locations by a staff member. Please do not arrange to meet your child in the foyer, work room or library after school.
- Students have designated pick up areas depending on their mode of transportation home. KidzU and daycare bus riders will be escorted to the cafeteria. Car riders and walkers have set locations outside the building that their teachers will escort them to, as well.
- Walkers will meet their siblings, neighbors and/or walking parents and quickly proceed to the crosswalk nearest their homes. Walker Station areas should be cleared out within minutes of dismissal
- K-2 students walking to the northern crosswalk (Hall Johnson & Hazy Meadow) will be dismissed from the picnic table area only
- K-2 students walking to the southern crosswalk (Hall Johnson & Hughes) will only be dismissed from the area near the front entrance to the school only
- Pre-K students walking home will be dismissed from the front entrance only.
- Student pick up is not permitted in the parking lot at any time. Parents are asked to meet their students and escort them across the back cross walk.
- Friendly reminders: dogs are not allowed on campus grounds due to student allergies; the small playground is reserved for KidzU until 6:30pm Monday through Friday.
Meet the Teacher a Huge Success!
We hope you were able to attend last week's Experience GES and Meet the Teacher events. A HUGE thanks to our PTA for making this such a wonderful event for our students, staff and community! We appreciate the following community vendors and GES groups for being part of our event:
- Sign Gypsies for donating the adorable sign in our front yard
- Trusty Jump for the bounce house
- Dad’s Club
- GES Environmental Committee and the Garden Club
- Mo’s That’s Amore food truck
- Rolling Stone food truck
- GES PTA Executive Board (Membership Committee, school supplies, Spirit Shop, Green backs)
Things to Know
If you need to make changes to afternoon transportation for your child, please call the front office before 2:30pm. If you know the day before, please email the homeroom teacher and our Student Data Secretary, Jessica Rickman (firstname.lastname@example.org). We don't want to miss a message while our teachers are instructing.
Nurse Cindy and Nurse Mary will be assisting in the GES clinic for the first week of school. If you have medications to drop off, feel free to bring those into the clinic as early as 7:30am.
All GCISD campuses will be participating in emergency management drills within the first ten days of school. This will give us the opportunity to teach our students procedures and expectations for these throughout the school year.
GES PTA needs YOU! Our goal is to have a membership for every student, so please join and encourage your relatives! Dues are $10. #joinGESPTA
Grapevine Elementary's 'Parent Information Night' will be held on Thursday, 8/31. Parents may attend an information session at 6-6:30 or 6:30-7pm in their child’s homeroom classroom.
Welcome Mrs. Hale, Our New Assistant Principal
I am honored to be the new Assistant Principal at GES, which has been my home campus for the past four years. I grew up in Florida and attended the University of Florida, where I obtained my Bachelor's degree and Master's degree in Elementary Education. I am an avid Gator fan and love watching SEC football! After getting married, I relocated to Texas. My husband and I have a two year old daughter, McKinley, who keeps us on our toes. We absolutely love watching her learn and grow each day. There is natural, burning curiosity in our children, and I believe strongly that school should fan that flame each day.
I bring to this position ten years of experience in elementary education in both Florida and Texas. I have taught third grade, fourth grade, and most recently was our campus learning liaison for three years as part of the GCISD Curriculum and Instruction team. I am passionate about instruction and look forward to working closely with our campus leadership to continue moving GES toward the GCISD LEAD2021 objectives.
I am blessed to be part of the GES family and look forward to getting to know all of our students and families.
In order to volunteer at GES, or around GCISD, all volunteers must:
- read the Volunteer Handbook (this replaces the previous face to face volunteer trainings held on campus)
- watch the appropriate video included in the handbook
- electronically sign the verification Google form for each campus you plan to volunteer
- complete the volunteer background check. A link is included in the handbook.
The following link takes you to the online Volunteer Handbook and background check: http://www.gcisd-k12.org/site/Default.aspx?PageID=474
When you are ready to volunteer at GES, feel free to call the front office at 817-251-5735 to verify that both of the required steps have been recorded as completed. We appreciate your support as you complete these steps and volunteer to work with our GES students.
Free & Reduced Lunch Application
In accordance with program guidelines, the Free and Reduced application will move online as part of Skyward registration. When registering for the 2017-2018 school year, parents or guardians should complete the Free and Reduced application. For your convenience, the application may also be filled out anytime electronically at www.schoollunchapp.com. If you do not have access to a computer, our campus will have one available for you to complete the online application. For those parents that would like to complete a paper application, copies will be available in our front office or the Nutrition Services office. If you have any questions, please call 817-251-5617 or email email@example.com
Follow Our Story
Follow the excitement on Twitter and Facebook:
- On Twitter follow:
Principal Mrs. Hilcher: @GESHilcher
Assistant Principal Mrs. Hale: @GESHale
Grapevine Elementary: @GESStars
Your favorite teacher: @GES[lastname]
All GES classrooms by checking our #GESshineon
On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrapevineElementary