December Pirate Cove Connection
PES Media Center News - December 2015
Reading keeps us in the spirit!
ANNOUCING SSYRA JR. - IT'S NEW
"Libraries store the energy that fuels the imagination. They open up windows to the world and inspire us to explore and achieve, and contribute to improving our quality of life."
Plastic Bags are a BIG DEAL! - Protect your library books.
Attention 4th and 5th Grade Students - We Are Looking for WPES Crew Members
What are we learning in Media this month?
- World Book on-line encyclopedia
- Follet Destiny - our new library catalog, log-in to see what books you have checked out or place a book on hold.
- Mackin VIA e-books - access 1700 e-books that make-up the PES collection
- Pictures - Do they appeal to you and do they make the story better?
- Plot/Theme/Subject - Does the topic of the story make you think or teach a lesson? Do you and other children like the topic of the story?
- Characters - Can you relate to the characters? Are the characters funny or appealing in some way?
- Author/Illustrator - Does the author have a reputation for good books? Do you like other books by that author?
- Tuesday Tucks Me In - a story about a disabled veteran and his service dog
- Two Little Birds - a story about migration
- Ivan the True Story of the Shopping Mall Gorilla - the story of a gorilla who spent 27 years in a cage in a mall
- A Boy and Jaguar - the story of a man that finds his voice protecting jaguars in Belize
- What's your favorite Gingerbread character?
- Theme - "the spirit of giving"
- Author's website http://www.lauramurraybooks.com.
World Book Online Encyclopedia
Our latest SSYRA Readers to reach 5 or more books
Lexi B. - 6
Sabrina P. - 6
Alexandria K. - 9 one more and on the news
Riley H. - 8
Elizabeth S. - 6
Michael C. - 9 one more and on the news
Leonard M. - 5
Brody H. - 9 one more and on the news
Gracie Y. - 8
Kaleigh R. - 5
Cameron S. - 7
Samantha G. - 7
Bri R. - 5
Kayla K. - 7
Hayden E. - 5
Natalie R. - 5
Carson H. - 7
Ava M. - 5
Karthik - 5
Elise L. - 5
Eli E. - 7
Birthday Book Club
The Palencia Elementary School Media Center’s Birthday Book Club is a wonderful way to commemorate your child’s birthday. Your participation not only enriches the library collection but allows you and your child to be personally involved in its growth.
To take part in the Birthday Book Club donate one new undamaged hardback book. This book should be a book that your child enjoys and one that we don’t have in the media center already. You can choose a new book at the book store or a new book from the Book Fair. A quick check of our library catalog (Destiny) will tell you if we already have the book. If you would prefer, you may make a monetary donation of $15 and your child can choose from recently acquired books that are waiting to be put on the shelves. For more information, contact the media center.