NCE 5th Grade Newsletter
April 8, 2016
Reading Round Up
We are starting our last major project of the year: the research project. Students are choosing a person of historical significance, and writing a short book about them. The focus of this project for reading is learning how to paraphrase, and the process of gathering and organizing information for a specific purpose. We have discussed what makes a person "historically significant", and the difference between a celebrity and a person who has made a positive contribution of meaning to the world. Students must have a book for one of their references. This may mean a trip to the local library, as our NCE library may not have the person your student chooses.
This week the students finished up their PSA. They worked so hard on this project. The students really took the time to incorporate effective persuasive techniques into their final piece.
We are moving on to our research project. This project will have writing, as well as reading grades connected to it. They will create a project over a person with historical importance. The students will follow the research process. They will brainstorm, gather articles, paraphrase their findings, and note their sources. The final product will be a book about their person. They will need to explain their person's historical contribution, as well as the impact of the contribution.
Radio PSA by klauden
Radio PSA Speeding by klauden
Click here for a PDF explaining how to log in to the Home Access Center
Math in a Minute
From the Science Lab
This week we'll be presenting out climate travel brochures and then moving into characteristics of the Earth, Moon, and Sun. We'll be doing a crater formation activity that I hope will make a big impact on the students!
NCE Carnival kicks off tomorrow!
The carnival will be from 5:00-8:30 pm.
There are so many fun and exciting parties and events that the teachers and staff members are hosting. Below is the website to bid online for parties and events: charityauction.bid/NCEPTA
The online auction will close at midnight on Friday, April 8th.
There will also be auction items at the carnival to bid on.
The 5th grade party will be on April 20th. We will have a video game and pizza party!
Parties and Events:
1. Kooking with Kindergarten (April 15 1:00-3:00) 8 students
2. 1st Grade Ice Cream Social (April 15 1:00-2:30) 10 students
3. 2nd Grade Finding Nemo Pizza and PJ Party (April 15 12:45-3:15) 10 students
4. 3rd Grade Movie and Ice Cream Sundae Party (April 15 1:00-3:00) 8 students
5. 4th Grade Movie, Pizza and Ice Cream Sundae Party (1:00-3:00) 8 students + 8 (4th grade NCE) friends
6. Bookworm Delight (Date and time TBD) 4 students individually
7. Star Wars Themed Open Gym Party (April 15 12:40-3:00) 12 students + 12 (NCE) friends
8. Drill Team Dance Party (April 15 12:40-2:00) 15 students
9. 5th Grade Basketball Game (May 6) 12 students
10. 5th Grade Basketball Game Cheerleader (May 6) 6 students
11. 5th Grade Basketball Game Mascot (May 6) 2 students
12. 5th Grade Kidnap Breakfast (Date TBD - before school day) 12 students
13. 5th Grade Video Game and Pizza Party (April 20 3:45-5:00) 10 students
14. Super Specials Sundae Party w/Music, Gym, and Art (April 14 4:00-5:00) 8 students
15. Picnic with Principals (Date and time TBD) 10 students + 10 (NCE) friends