Raureka School Term 4 Week 1
Newsletter 19 September 2022
Kia ora koutou katoa, Talofa lava, Kia orana,
Welcome back to School we are now at the start of Term 4. We are looking forward to a great time with lots of exciting things happening.
World Teachers Day 5th Oct
During the holidays every country around the world celebrated their teachers. As we were on holiday I just want to acknowledge the work that they do for our tamariki. Thank you all.
Recording of Production available to buy:
Thank you to everyone who helped support us with the Production last term. It was fantastic and our children were superb. Recordings of the show are finalised now and you are able able to buy them, see the details of how to do this further on in the newsletter.
Every child also had a note sent home with them yesterday.
Otago maths Challenge
Over the last few terms we have had a number of children take part in the Otago Maths Challenge Problem Solving Competition. The children have five sets of 5 problems throughout the year. Our tamariki have done extremely well this year with a number getting merit (top 35% of NZ students) and a few gaining excellence (top 20% of NZ students). Congratulations to them all for doing so well.
Junior Enduro Run:
We had our Junior Enduro run yesterday and the children had great fun, thanks to everyone who came and watched the children.
Year 6 Camp:
Our Year 6 children will go on Camp next week and all of the year 6's are preparing now for their time away. The rest of the Senior team will also have their Outdoor Education week with lots of exciting things planned for them.
We have the Ki-o-rahi tournament on Wednesday 2nd November. Children will also be preparing for our Athletics sports which are on Tuesday 15th November- parents are most welcome to come and cheer the children on.
Remember that we have a Teacher Only Day on Monday 21st November with no-one at school on that day. If you want to book your children into the YMCA programme please let them know as soon as possible.
We still have other exciting things happening as well.
Sports this term:
This term we have children playing hockey, touch rugby, futsal, volleyball, cricket and softball- a huge thank you to everyone who is supporting the children play these games.
Lucky Book Orders:
Parents may remember having the Lucky Book Orders available at school when you grew up. Scholastic have been to visit and wondered if we would like to be part of the programme again. It is different to the original system but very similar. Each child will get a brochure and you can order and pay on line if you wish. The brochure came home yesterday.
We will trial this and see if parents want us to continue with this. If you wish to make a purchase please follow the instructions below. Orders will close on 4 November.
The books will be sent to school after the order closes and we will distribute them.
Please follow this link and order books if you wish.
RSS Mamas Donuts fund raising:
We are doing this again- order forms will be going out shortly and can be ordered from School on Friday 4th November.
Donuts will be delivered on Friday 11th November.
If anyone has any clean super market bags that they want to get rid of please send them to us so we can use them to package large orders.
Funds raised will go towards shade sales outside the hall.
RSS Christmas Raffle:
We are once again looking for donations for our Christmas Raffle- if you can ask any businesses, friends or family if they would like to donate any Vouchers, Services or products that we can put into our raffles. Please let us know- Contact Rachel on 0273504088 for more details. Non food items please.
IMPORTANT - If your child is away from school -
Reminder that you need to PHONE OR TEXT the school know if your child is going to be away. Because of the current covid situation, it is essential that you let us know the reason they are away - eg coughing, headache, tummy bug etc.
You can phone 06 8789766 or text 027 557 0085 and leave a message.
Thank you for this, it is so helpful and we want to ensure your child is okay.
Have a great week
Values Certificate Winners
Our four values are :
Respect/Whakaute, Responsibility/Haepapa, Resilience/Pakari, Relationships/Whanaungatanga.
This week we are focusing on - Respect/Whakaute, - which means: believe in yourself, value the feelings and rights of others and show regard for the environment.
The expected behaviour during this week is: to speak respectfully.
The following children received awards at our last assembly:
R1 , R2 Fusi Fakatokaga, R3 Esme Atkinson, R4 Riley Stichbury-Yates, R5 Beautiful-Roze Jones, R7 Lachlan McDonough, R8 Savanah Edmonds, R11 Nalisha Bhikha-Willan, R12 Victor Mapesone, R13 Ayvah-Rose Tuiala, R14 Archer Atkinson, R15 Liam Davis, R19 Cooper Corbett, R20 Ariana Matika, R21 Ella-Jade Kane.
Hello Room 21 - what have you got to share with us?
Our favourite parts were... wearing makeup, dancing on the big stage, doing cool dance moves and wearing our awesome costumes!
Good thing in class we are normally not cheeky school kids like in the production!
How to order Lucky Books
Junior Enduro Run
- Friday 21 October Hawke's Bay Anniversary Day
- Monday 24 October Labour Day - no school for students
- Tuesday 25 - Friday 28 October - Y6 Camp at Tutira
- Wednesday 2 November- Ki-o-rahi Tournament
- Tuesday 15 November- School Athletics
- Monday 21 November Teacher Only Day - no school for students
- Wednesday 23 November - Interschool Athletics/Mobile Ear Clinic onsite
- Tuesday 6 December- Junior School Trip
- Wednesday 7 December - Cultural Show
- Monday 9 Monday - Reports out
- Monday 12 December- Yr 6 Social
- Thursday 15 December- Final Assembly
- Friday 16 December Last Day of Year - 12.30 school finishes for the year
- Tuesday 31 January & Wednesday 1 February - Office open for uniform & stationery sales
- Tuesday 7 February - beginning of Term 1 2023
School Uniform – this is compulsory. No exceptions.
All children are required to have the school royal blue polo-shirt, royal blue hat, and on colder days the royal blue polar fleece jersey. All of these are available at the school office.
The lower half of the uniform (short, longs, skorts, skirts) must be plain black and can be purchased in town No stripes, no flowers etc, can
be purchased in town.
· Do your child’s records need updating?
- moved house?
- phone/cellphone numbers changed?
- living arrangements changed?
- emergency contacts changed?
- medical details?
IMPORTANT: Children are NOT to carry any form of medication in their bags etc. All medication must be held in the office. Parents must complete a Medical Form to enable staff to administer medication.
We often have a few ‘bugs’ around the school.
· A common one is a nasty cough/flu type illness. Keep your children home if they have symptoms of this as it spreads easily.
· If your child has had vomiting or diarrhoea, they MUST stay home for 2 days after the last event. This illness definitely spreads quickly around the school.
· Headlice are always around so make sure that you check your child’s hair regularly (we suggest weekly) and treat the hair if necessary. We have treatments available from school for free. Just pop in and we can give you some.
· If your child is at all unwell, please keep them home so that they don’t pass bugs on to other children. Also if a child is feeling unwell they are not able to learn easily and are much better off at home snuggled up in bed.
Don’t forget to contact the school office to let us know when your child is unwell please.
Volunteers needed for supervision of our school patrollers.
The children are well trained, it is just a matter of having an adult supervise from 8.30-9.00. Please contact Chris in the school office if your are able to help (even if you have helped in the past, please confirm).