Knox Middle School
October at Knox!
Hello Knox Families!
October was an awesome month at Knox. Our ASB planned some fun activities for students, which included:
- Red Ribbon Spirit Week
- Falloween Door Decorating
- Birthday celebrations
- Opening of the 2 ASB stores
- Staff vs. Student Soccer Game for our 6th grade students
This month we will continue to celebrate students with brag tags for: perfect attendance, raising their Lexile reading scores in Achieve 3000, and for our positive themes in Advisory. With the second progress reporting period will also come additional brag tags for GPA and Citizenship.
All students received a first academic progress report. The second academic progress reporting period ends on November 11th. We will be hosting a Zoom Parent Coffee to support parents with Power School Parent Portal and monitoring grades and attendance online.
Our teachers are working as collaborative teams to deconstruct the Critical Concepts (priority standards). This work helps to ensure that students have access to learn the most important standards during the school year. As PLCs (Professional Learning Communities), departments work together to create a scope and sequence that outlines their teaching plan for the year. PLCs are also working to ensure that we have common and measurable learning targets in our classrooms.
Knox students participated in a robotics competition this month. Students worked in teams of 2-3 students to build ROV’s and will had the opportunity to test their vehicles in the pool at Sea Lodge. Knox will be forming a partnership with the Walter Munk Foundation to support our future robotics endeavors. Knox has a morning Robotics Advisory program as well as a Coding class as part of our CTE pathway. Students are learning to code with Python and have in the past also coded with Lego.
- Students should wear their Knox lanyard and brag tags. They can earn many prizes. Our brag tags celebrate our student success. Students can get a new lanyard in Saturday School if they have lost theirs.
- Students may only have their cell phones out at lunch. They may also not record video. Phones out any other time of the day will be collected and turned into the office. Parents must pick the phone up at the office.
- If you need to pick your student up early at school call ahead.
- You can still register for student COVID testing. The links for registration are below. COVID testing is every Thursday.
- The grading period ends on 11/19. Report cards will be mailed home the following week.
- We have a late bus for tutoring every Tuesday. It stops at Baker and Balboa. It departs Knox at 4:35
- Minimum days are the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Thursday only.
- Saturday School has begun. Students can clear 1 full day absence and 4 tardies. Saturday school is 8am-12pm. Students that arrive late will not be able to enter. Students need their backpack, laptop, charger, planner, mask and water bottle. Breakfast will be served.
- Please monitor your child's social media accounts (Instagram, Snap Chat, Tik Tok). School vandalism is on the rise due to Tik Tok challenges. Please talk to your students about their digital footprint and making smart choices online.
- Please talk to your students about the harmful effects of Vaping. All students participated in a school-wide Zoom assembly to learn about the harmful chemicals that are contained in ecigarettes.
Check out the Lincoln Cluster Newsletter for more awesome events happening in our cluster.
To join our ELAC, please reach out to Ms. Hueso firstname.lastname@example.org
Red Ribbon Spirit Week
Students are earning so many Brag Tags!!
Knox Student Websites!
Knox has developed specific grade-level websites to keep students updated on their classes and school events.
Knox Advisory Program
Student Email-Students should check their email daily at school
Knox Primetime Update
Hello PrimeTime Parents,
Welcome to November! We hope the students have enjoyed themselves with the activities in October as we had a busy yet exciting month.
Our students have been taking full advantage of the enrichment activities offered through Culture Club. They created awesome Japanese art and learned a lot about other cultural backgrounds. In the next few weeks, we will be introducing our soccer and activism clubs. We want to encourage all students to participate and enjoy the different programs we have to offer! As always, if you have any questions/concerns regarding the program, please feel free to reach out and I will do my best to help.
I want to take the time to send out a few reminders regarding Primetime.
- If your child will be absent from Primetime, please call/text me to let me know ahead of time. There have been a lot of absences the last month, so I need to make sure everyone is using the program to its full advantage.
- All students need to head straight to program when being dropped off in the morning or when getting out class. It is not acceptable for students to be waiting outside of the school.
- Encourage your child to ask questions during the academic portion of Primetime. A lot of students are reluctant to complete homework and they have many missing assignments negatively affecting their grades. We want to make sure every student is constantly improving and receiving the assistance they need.
Site Coordinator | Knox Middle School
1098 S.49th St, San Diego, CA 92113
Parent Portal- Grades, Schedules, & Attendance
To get a copy of your password, please call 619-344-5500 or email email@example.com
Directions on how to access your student's grades and attendance
Knox is a Marzano High Reliability School!
Join the mailing list- email firstname.lastname@example.org
Key Contacts At Knox:
Vice Principal- Angelica Hueso-Garcia- email@example.com
Head Counselor-M-Z- Lori Watkins- firstname.lastname@example.org
Counselor- A-L- Mary Shirley- email@example.com
Restorative Practices Coordinator-Jeff Ponsford- firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration/Attendance-Leticia Alva Sanchez- email@example.com
Site Tech- Power School Parent Portal- Kristen Ojetti- firstname.lastname@example.org
Yuli Mejia-Attendance- email@example.com
Admin Assist-Linda Dozier- firstname.lastname@example.org
Health Tech-Monica Diazemail@example.com
Google Voice-619 292-8817