Together We: Learn, Grow, and Lead
Wow! What a year this has been for our school community. Thank you to our GHES families who kicked off the school year with us at our first “Back-to-School Bulldog Night.” Special thanks to our PTA who, as usual, went above and beyond the call of duty to provide whatever was necessary to add to our students’ school experience. Covid-19 brought an abrupt “in-person” end to our school year and we transformed to a virtual environment overnight. That experience could not occur without the endless energy, skills, and devotion of our Grange Hall staff. Thanks and well done to an incredible group of educators.
Thank you for all your hard work throughout this school year. I am so honored to be your principal; you make me proud to be a Grange Hall Bulldog. I am grateful for your amazing talents, laughter, and love of learning. Best wishes to our graduating fifth graders, whom I will miss greatly—please come back and visit.
Have a safe and fun summer break!
Events Happening This Week
Grades K-4 - "Party-in-a-bag" - End-of-Year Celebrations:
Our teachers have put together a special end-of-year celebration for students. Please contact your child's teacher for details.
- Parents may pick up your child's "party-in-a-bag" at Grange Hall on Monday, June 8 from 8:00 am - 1:00 pm.
Fifth Grade Promotion Ceremony - June 10, 2020 - 10:00 am
- Be on the lookout for our virtual fifth grade promotion ceremony video & our fifth grade slideshow for students.
Come out to Grange Hall to say wave goodbye to your teachers and staff - June 11, 2020
Calling all GHES students and families! Join us this Thursday for a drive-by parade to say goodbye to our teachers and staff. Teachers and staff will be lining our bus loop ready to wave goodbye to our students as we wrap up the 2019-2020 school year. Students can decorate their parents cars, make posters, or simply drive-by and wave goodbye to our teachers and staff.
- Thursday, June 11 - 9:00 am-9:30 am (K&1); 9:30 - 10:00 (2&3); 10:00-10:30 (4 &5)
- If there are multiple students in your family, please pick the time slot that works best for you.
- Please enter from Beaver Bridge Rd. - drive around the back of our school building to the bus loop.
- Please do not stop your car, keep rolling through waving and honking goodbye to our teachers and staff.
- Cars should make one loop around the bus loop and exit onto Hull St.
We hope to see many families this Thursday as we wrap up the school year!
Best Wishes & Welcome Wishes to our Amazing GHES Staff
Best wishes to the following GHES bulldogs:
- Tammie Murray, GHES school counselor - Mrs. Murray will be serving the Swift Creek Middle School community as their Counseling Coordinator.
- Tyler Piper, GHES Building Operations Supervisor - Mr. Piper will be working for SouthCoast Electric beginning this month.
- Connie Blakely, GHES Educational Diagnostician - Mrs. Blakely will begin a new adventure called "retirement."
- Emily McKenney, GHES itinerant Art teacher - Mrs. McKenney will be joining the Alberta Smith staff as a full-time Art teacher.
- Jennifer Donald, GHES Kindergarten teacher - Mrs. Donald will be pursuing educational opportunities and spending time with her family.
- Nicole Walter, GHES Kindergarten teacher - Mrs. Walter will be joining the Woolridge Elementary staff as a second grade teacher.
- Jamie King, GHES Kindergarten teacher - Mrs. King will be joining the Matoaca Elementary staff as a second grade teacher.
- Ashley Mawyer, GHES second grade teacher - Miss Mawyer will be joining the Crestwood Elementary staff as a third grade teacher.
- John Harrison, School Psychologist, will be joining the Jacobs Road Elementary staff.
Staffing changes within GHES:
- Debra Franklin will be joining our second grade team.
- Shelley Atkinson (Burns) will be joining our fifth grade team.
- Jessica Sutton will be joining our second grade team.
- Kayla Turner will be joining our Kindergarten team.
- Stephanie Lambert will be joining the fourth grade team.
Welcome our new GHES teachers & staff:
- Kayla Litofsky - Kindergarten
- Lindsay Swoap - Kindergarten
- Christine Tingle - Special Education
- Jamie Wieder - Second grade
- Courtney Hevener - School Counselor
- Katie McCaughey - School Psychologist
- Cathy Sawyer - Educational Diagnostician
Grange Hall Family Resources
We have all spent time sorting through a myriad of emotions and thoughts about the most recent state of our country. It is our sincerest hope that our families are able to find some semblance of peace with all that is unknown and uncertain. Below you will find some resources that we hope you can find helpful in talking with your students and children:
- GHES Learning Resources site - counselor page
- School Counseling Resources
- School Counseling Quick Tips
Library Books -
- Please check your student's library account to see if they have any outstanding library books that need to be returned. Instructions are linked HERE.
Who's ready to dive into a good book?
Summer Reading 2020 - Activities linked below.
Recovery of Learning - Summer Elementary Opportunities
Registration for summer learning opportunities has opened and will remain open until June 15. All students are welcome to participate in Recovery of Learning opportunities to review course content and enhance skills of content taught during the 2019-2020 school year. The elementary recovery of learning will begin June 29. Visit the Recovery of Learning site to register.
- Questions?? - contact Mrs. Vickie Hugate @ firstname.lastname@example.org
- All courses will be taught by GHES teachers.
- Students participating in the summer learning program will be assigned a Chromebook.
Kindergarten Registration 2020
Please encourage families to register rising K students here:https://mychesterfieldschools.com/family-and-community-engagement/preparing-for-school/student-registration/kindergarten-registration/.
*We are starting to collect denim. There is a trash can outside the office doors at Grange Hall Elementary with a sign that says "Denim Drive". Drop it off anytime starting on Monday, June 1.
Yearbooks - We will communicate with our families as soon as yearbook orders have arrived this summer and schedule a time for pick-up.
* Membership survey is ready to be completed. Click on the link below. We appreciate your feedback.
CCPS Food Distribution
To meet the needs of students during COVID-19 school closures, Chesterfield County Public Schools continues provide meals for students for pick-up without charge and regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability and without discrimination. Meals will be provided on a first-come, first-served basis at the sites and times listed below. Please note these important pieces of information related to the distribution of meals:
- Children do not have to be present to pick up meals. To pick up meals without a student present, please tell the staff member your student’s first and last names and age.
- June 1 - 11: Meals will be served on Mondays and Thursdays only. Three days’ worth of meals will be provided for each child on Mondays. Four days’ worth of meals will be provided for each child on Thursdays.
- No meal service is available on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, or Fridays.
- See the attached document with updates for June 1-11. June 1-11 meals.docx