WINTER PARK BAND Weekly Newsletter
November 17, 2019
THIS WEEK'S CALENDAR
All-County Band and Jazz Auditions
Monday, Nov. 18th, 4pm
555 Martin Street
Winter Guard Auditions
Wednesday, Nov. 20th, 1:30-5pm
2100 Summerfield Road
Winter Park, FL
From Mr. Clemente
Dear Winter Park Band families,
Well done to all of the students who performed at this past Wednesday's Night of Jazz! Lots of great musicianship being displayed on stage from start to finish of the concert.
This week, many of our students will be auditioning for this year's All-County ensembles. Each year, we consistently have a wonderful number of students successfully audition into the All-County ensembles, and performing as a part of those groups is an extremely valuable experience. Best of luck to all of our Winter Park Band students auditioning! Looking forward to some great performances and successful audition results!
Please see below for continued information for Solo & Ensemble. This week is crucial for our students to make a decision as far as what they are planning to perform, who they are performing with if they choose to perform in a chamber ensemble, and if they need to finalize a search for a piano accompanist. Going into the Thanksgiving break with all those things in place leads to a successful performance in February at Solo & Ensemble!
Have a great week, and a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!
BAND BOOSTER PRESIDENT MESSAGE
Week of November 17, 2019
What a wonderful couple of weeks of concerts!
Please mark your calendars for the two Christmas parades on 12/7 and 12/14 (volunteers are still needed) and the concert on December 12 at 7pm.
We need volunteers to bring desserts for the reception after the concert on 12/12 (no sign up, just drop by desserts at 6:45 p.m. on concert day in the auditorium lobby-suggested items: cookies, donuts, rice crispy treats, brownies-individual pieces-platters should be picked up after concert if you would like them back, as they cannot be stored). Help is needed for set up and clean up of desserts. Please see Charms to sign up. Thank you!
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone.
ALL-COUNTY BAND & JAZZ AUDITIONS
All-County Band Audition Schedule: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MsjY_gach6Y3ixcMsX5qY_hLmoO3kJ_Y/view?usp=sharing
All-County Jazz Audition Schedule: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12_yLBdYz9t84IkBRr6Q0Y3741xLd8wR_/view?usp=sharing
SOLO & ENSEMBLE
As we continue into the 2nd marking period of the school year, it's time to begin finalizing selections for the annual Solo and Ensemble MPA. As a reminder from our Band Handbook, Solo and Ensemble is a part of our 2nd - 3rd quarter project for all students in the Winter Park Band. This project allows our students to have a performance opportunity where they are able to showcase their individual musicianship and take what they are learning in their Band classes and apply it toward a piece of music of their own choosing. It is my firm belief that preparing a piece for performance either individually or in a small group is one of the most effective ways for our students to add to their musicianship. As the saying goes, a rising tide raises all boats, and when all students work to improve their individual musicianship, the Band program benefits as a whole.
Band students have two performance options to complete the Solo and Ensemble project:
- Option 1: Solo and Ensemble MPA. Solo and Ensemble MPA takes place each year at the beginning of February and is hosted by a school in our district, this year University HS on February 7 and 8. This event is put on by the Florida Bandmasters Association(FBA), and allows students to perform for an adjudicator for a rating. Adjudicators for this event are professors, teachers, and performers from across the state of Florida, and students have the opportunity to receive feedback on their performance from someone who is an expert on their instrument. Students perform either a solo or chamber ensemble piece from the FBA Solo and Ensemble Required Music List, and may perform in up to 4 different events. There is a small assessment fee per event, typically $5.00 - 7.00.
- Option 2: Solo and Ensemble Recital Option. For students who choose not to perform at the Solo and Ensemble MPA put on by FBA, those students will perform as part of our Solo and Ensemble Recital at school. This year, that recital will take place in the Band Room on Wednesday, February 5, beginning at 1:30 PM. Students must select a piece from the FBA Solo and Ensemble Required Music List, and the performances will be adjudicated by both Mr. Smith and Mr. Clemente.
The next step is choosing which option you prefer and what you will perform for that option. Start looking at solo literature, consult your private lesson teacher, and/or get your chamber ensemble together and committed to performing as a group. Once you are prepared to register for either Solo and Ensemble MPA or the Solo and Ensemble Recital Option, follow the links below. If a student chooses to play a solo, they are responsible for providing a piano accompanist. If you are in search of an accompanist, please consult this list of piano accompanists on the Band website.
Winter Park Solo and Ensemble Library(as of 11.10.19): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zV3bJysUa84SP7HF3oQITQzImzatUw8y
Solo and Ensemble Music Purchase Request: https://forms.gle/GHveUm8cLeEUq8xH6
- Due no later than 12/4/19
Solo and Ensemble MPA Registration: https://forms.gle/MVBbHGBA9SFCkv3YA
- Due no later than 12/4/19
Solo and Ensemble Recital Option sign-up: https://forms.gle/yczo7RX7jRDZaMPo7
- Due no later than 12/4/19
Students should have a close idea of what they would like to perform at Solo & Ensemble before we leave for the Thanksgiving break. If a student plans on performing a solo that has piano accompaniment, that student should secure an accompanist before or during the Thanksgiving break.
November 25 - 29: Thanksgiving Break
December 7: Winter Park Christmas Parade, 8 AM - 12 PM
December 10: Winterfest, 8 PM (Park Philharmonic Winds and Percussion)
December 12: BAND WINTER CONCERT, 7 PM
December 14: Baldwin Park Winter Spark Parade, 5 PM - 8 PM
Upcoming Payments Due:
12/4 Color Guard Fair Share 5 Due - $150
Payments Past Due:
10/2 Fair Share Payment #3 - $50 (All Students) PAST DUE
10/2 School Instrument Semester 1 Maintenance (Some Students) PAST DUE
11/6 Color Guard Fair Share 4 - PAST DUE
Viewing your Student's Financial Account in Charms:
There is a direct link to Charms in "Quick Links" on the band website.
- Our school code is winterparkhsband
- The Student Area Password would be a unique password that either the student or parent have set up. (If you don't know the password it can be reset by one of the band directors).
- Once you have logged into the Student Area, click on the round, red $ symbol on the top menu bar to view your student's account
- If your student has earned Band Account Credit (in the Miscellaneous Ledger) this credit can be transferred to pay for many band fees: Fair Share, School Instrument Maintenance, Registration Fees for All-State, All-County and Solo Ensemble.
Requesting a Credit Transfer to pay for Fixed Payments Due:
- Click on the "Transfer Request" tab just below the round, red $ symbol. Select the fixed payment you would like to pay for using the credit. The request is sent to the band directors and the band booster treasurer.
- SENIORS: Please check your credit balance and use it accordingly during the year. Credit for Seniors left at the end of the year can only be transferred to siblings.
FINANCIAL OBLIGATIONS PAYMENT SCHEDULE