Killough's Class News
May 6, 2016
In literacy we have been working with nonfiction texts. The children have been text feature detectives and found things like, captions, headings, bolded fonts, "fancy letters", etc. within some nonfiction books. If your child brings home a nonfiction leveled book, please ask him/her if any of these features are in the text.
To accompany this nonfiction Reader's Workshop unit, we are also working on nonfiction writing. As a class, we worked together to use the Pebble Go website to research cheetahs. Now the children have chosen an animal and they are ready to begin researching on the site independently. I think they will learn a lot about their animals and also about writing information in their own words. I cannot wait to see the finished products!!!
We are also studying animals in science. The children will be learning about different animals and their characteristics as well as their habitats. As a part of this unit we will also be discussing how various animals are like humans and how they are different.
During math, the children have been working hard on composing teen numbers using a group of 10 and a given number of ones. They have really impressed me with how quickly they have grasped this concept. We have also worked briefly with the concept of counting on to add. For example when adding 8 + 2 the children would say 8 and then count on saying 9 and then 10. This has been a bit challenging so far, but we will keep practicing the skill in centers.
Happy Mother's Day!
- Picture money and/or unwanted proofs were due today! If you have not returned them, please do so as soon as possible!
- Next Thursday, May 12th is orientation for the upcoming kindergarten students! Our class will have the opportunity to go to the gym for a fun activity.
- Our Field Day is scheduled for May 26th! More information will come home later!
- The first round of EOG testing will begin May 23rd and run through May 25th for our Track 1 3rd-5th graders. We ask our kiddos to be extra quiet in the hallways and to be respectful of those who are testing.
- School will be closed on May 30th in observance of the Memorial Day holiday.
Clothes and Water
Thank you so much for sending your child in with a water bottle! The water fountain outside does not always work and I know the children get really hot!
We will also be having a water day in June. It is scheduled for June 16th. I will be asking for about 5 or 6 volunteers to help out with the centers. If you would like to help, please send me an email!
- Fun water toys (no guns please)
- Shoeboxes (We will need one per child.)