Star Trek 1966-1969
an American science fiction entertainment series
The U.S.S. Enterprise
The space ship used in their five year mission in space
The original crew in Star Trek.
Spock doing the Vulcan salute
The Vulcan salute means "Live long and prosper" or "dif tor heh smusma" in the Vulcan language.
The Original Crew
- William Shatner- James T. Kirk
- Leonard Nemoy- Spock
- James Doohan- Montgomery "Scotty" Scott
- Nichelle Nichols- Nyota Uhura
- Walter Koenig- Pavel Chekov
- Majel Barrett- Nurse Christine Chapel/Ship Computer
- Grace Lee Whitney- Janice Rand
- DeForest Kelley- Leonard "Bones" McCoy
- George Takei- Hikaru Sulu
- Star Trek was the first show to feature an interracial kiss
- Most male Vulcan names begin with “S” and most females’ names with a “T” followed by an apostrophe
- Spock's skin color had originally been tinted red, but they realized, since most people had black-and-white TV's he would show up black
- Spock originally had a plate in his stomach that would provide him energy instead of eating
- The famous Vulcan salute was originally a Jewish hand sign that is only used by priests when they are blessing something in the synagogue. It means "Shaddai" or "Almighty Father".
- The U.S.S. Enterprise had a six-lane bowling ally. It was revealed in an authentic set of blueprints from the show. It is located on Deck 21 next to the Refreshments Area and the Food and Beverages Preparation Facility.
Star Trek was was produced by Gene Roddenberry and first aired on NBC on Thursday, September 8, 1966
- First pilot called The Cage, was rejected due to it being uninteresting and to cerebral.
- First official pilot was called Where No Man Has Gone Before
- Star Trek was almost cancelled in the second season, but due to so many fans protesting and sending letters to NBC about cancellation, they decided to keep it for one more season
Why We Chose This Topic
We chose this topic because of how much of an impact it had on people in the 60's and even now. The original series that started in 1966 was such a hit that it started a long line of movies and shows based upon the first crew on the Enterprise. It started off by being hated by many and then lasted 3 seasons. After the series went off a trilogy of movies and spin offs started.