Biology I: Course Update Newsletter
extra, extra ... read all about it in this issue:
You will receive a course update email from me every two weeks, immediately after an Assignment Due Date.
Please read through the newsletter for helpful information.
Students May Submit Late Assignments ... for One Week
Bonus Point Opportunities
- USA Test Prep for up to 10% Bonus on Test scores - Join this site (see tutorials below) and take practice tests using the codes I provide in news announcements. Earn a perfect score (you may re-take multiple times) and I will add 10% to your test score ... Easy peasy!
- Posted Bonus Opportunities for Quizzes or other Assignments - view the news daily (scroll through) to take advantage of extra points or remediation that can replace your points.
Email tips for Better Communication and Quick Teacher Response:
- Please take a moment to create an email signature for your GaVS email that lists your courses and groups (e.g., Biology A - 12 Week Group.) The video tutorial below will show you how to do this.
- If you have a question about an assignment or something in the content, tell your teacher the name and page number of the assignment.
**New to GaVS?** D2L Help Sessions for Students and Parents
- Tuesday, September 17 at 11AM
- Thursday, September 19 at 7PM
This is an online event in the Adobe D2L Help Classroom
You will join by entering the meeting as a Guest. Your username is your first and last name. Here is the link to join each D2L Session:
The space for each session is limited. We ask everyone to join the session using only ONE computer at your home. If the session is full, the recording will be posted within the learning management system and you will have an opportunity to review the recording OR attend another upcoming meeting. The schoolwide D2L meetings are separate from individual Welcome sessions held by each teacher. Please plan to attend the meeting with your teacher as well. Your teacher will notify you about the date of that meeting.
The Parent Account gives you information about your child’s grades and progress in their course. If your child’s grade drops below a 75, you will receive an automated phone call. If your child’s grade drops below a 70, you will receive a phone call from me.
If you already have a parent account please do NOT create a new one.
1) Please check to see that your parent account is linked to your student’s account.
2) For more information click Help on the Log in page or click this link.
If you are uncertain about whether you have a parent account or not,
1) Log in to GAVS at www.gavirtualschool.org and at the Log In page type in your username and password.
2) For more information click Help at the top of the Log In page or click the following link. http://helpdesk.gavirtuallearning.org/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/14/gavs-parent-info
*Information for parents who have NEVER created a parent account.
1) Login to our website www.gavirtualschool.org
2) Click the “Log In To GAVS” icon
3) Click “Create An Account” from the navigation bar.
4) You will need to know your child’s GTID and date of birth.
5) Please follow the directions on the screen.
6) Be sure you have linked your parent account to your student’s account.
7) For more information simply click HELP at the top of the Log In page or click the following link. http://helpdesk.gavirtuallearning.org/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/14/gavs-parent-info
Strategy 1: Follow That Schedule!
Print out your schedule and use it as a daily checklist. The expectation is that students stick to the schedule and work in the course each day for at least one hour or more. Turn in all your assignments on time. If you have a late assignment - turn it in by Monday so that you only lose a meager 10%!
Strategy 2: Read Your Feedback!
Here is a tutorial on how to see each type of feedback: Quiz, Dropbox and Discussion: