PLANO SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL
PSHS eNews: Where the Wildcat Nation Gets Its Information
Tuesday, January 19, 2016
* * * * * * * * * * * * * ADMINISTRATIVE UPDATES * * * * * * * * * * * * *
PISD MLK TRIBUTE AND CELEBRATION
The State of Texas 2014-2015 School Report Card for Plano Senior High has now been released, and it is included in this enews. It is also posted to the website http://k-12.pisd.edu/schools/pshs/. This is a report required by the Texas Legislature and prepared by the Texas Education Agency. The report provides information concerning student performance on the State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR), as well as information on student enrollment, class size averages, and financial expenditures. The information contained in the School Report Card is required by state law and is briefly described in the “School Report Card Definitions.” If you have any questions concerning the School Report Card, please let us know. Thank you for your continued support of Plano Senior High.
Final Exam Grade Waiver and Final Exam Exemption Proposal
STUDENT AND SPECTATOR BEHAVIOR EXPECTATIONS
We always say, Win with class; lose with class. At public events, PLEASE represent PSHS with pride and respect for the hard work of all participants.
- Show respect for the National Anthem and those who've paid the ultimate sacrifice to protect this country and our freedom.
- Cheer FOR our team, not against the other. Our athletes have worked hard to be on the playing field. They deserve our POSITIVE SUPPORT.
- Treat the opposing team and their fans with respect. Positively acknowledge their efforts.
- Similarly, bring only signs that convey a positive message.
- Follow the directions of school officials, police officers.
- Respect the decisions of the officials. Ultimately, their say is final.
- Follow UIL rules, including no mechanical noisemakers such as air horns.
- If a player is injured, show respect, and remain quiet while he/she is being tended to.
- Represent your school and yourself with pride. Many children attend these events. Be good role models for them.
Student Parking for 2nd Semester
Student Parking stickers will be prorated to $40 starting in January 2016.
See Mrs. Gilbert in the Gamma subschool office for parking forms.
Remember all students need to have a parking permit on their vehicle or they could be towed.
No parking in visitors, handicapped, striped areas or numbered spaces.
Attendance Reminders – It is vital for students to be in school. Please remember these state guidelines
- Notes must be turned in within three days for makeup work to be allowed. Unexcused absences could result in zeroes on assignments.
- Beyond 10 absences, students must turn in doctor’s notes.
- Three tardies in a class equals an absence.
- Chronic absences will result in an intervention plan that may include loss of open campus lunch, Saturday Schools, and mandatory tutorials.
- Continued absences can result in loss of credit for a course and truancy being filed.
- Students absent more than 10 consecutive days will be withdrawn.
Please work with your sub school principal to avoid these difficult situations. Most importantly, be in school!
FROM THE NURSE
Allergy, Cold and Flu season is coming….
Per PISD policy these are the medical reasons for exclusion from school. Please remember the school clinic does not have any medications that we can give students. Medications can only be given to a student if the proper medication form is signed and the medicine is brought to the clinic from home. If the student is sent home from the clinic a note from the parent must be taken to sub-school for the absence to be excused. Below are the symptoms I am allowed to send students home from school with.
A student with any of the following symptoms will be excluded from
school until such time as the student is free of symptoms, has been satisfactorily treated or submits a signed physician’s statement that he/she is not contagious.
- Temperature of 100 degrees or more. Student must be fever free
for 24 hours, without medication, before re-entry.
- Pain and/or swelling at angle of jaw.
- Undetermined rash over any part of the body.
- Undiagnosed scaly patches on the body or scalp.
- Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea. Student must be symptom free for 24 hours without medication before re-entry.
- Red, draining eyes.
- Intense itching with signs and symptoms of secondary infection.
- Open, draining lesions.
FROM THE CLINIC
If your child needs medication at school please bring medication in the original container with the proper paperwork to be left in the clinic. Medications brought into the clinic can remain in there until the end of the school year.
To protect all students from illnesses, students infected with certain diseases are not allowed to come to school while they are contagious. Students should be symptom-free for 24 hours before returning to school. Contact the clinic if you are unsure whether or not your child should return to school. 469-752-9309.
Immunization records can be found in the parent portal. Please bring into the clinic any new immunizations that you have received to be added to the current record. Most colleges will require an additional meningitis shot to begin college in the fall. Check with your college for more information.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * COUNSELING UPDATES * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
- students planning on taking an AP exam this year must complete registration in the Total Registration program
- registration will be Wednesday & Thursday, Jan. 20th & 21st from 8am – 4:30pm in A101
- students will need to report to the computer lab before or after school, during lunch or during a release period to register
- students that registered for their AP exams during December DO NOT have to register again
Juniors that took the October PSAT now have access to your scores.
Scores are available at studentscores.collegeboard.org with your access code
If you have problems seeing your scores please see the Counseling Office.
College Board has pushed back when the PSAT results will be available for students.
Beginning January 7th, students will receive their scores and AP Potential information at studentscores.collegeboard.org.
Attention Current Juniors
Plano Mayor’s Summer Internship Program is taking applications now for anyone interested in participating in the program
Selected students have the opportunity to earn a paid summer internship
For more information visit www.planomayorsinterns.org
Applications will be accepted online until March 11
COLLEGE APPLICATION REMINDERS
Seniors, many of you are in the process of working on your college applications so here are some important reminders:
- use the Common Application if the college accepts it
- you must connect your Common Application to your Naviance account (for the school to send your transcript, the school report and recommendation letters)
- you must sign the FERPA waiver before your teacher and counselor can send your recommendation letter
- all recommendation letters must formally be requested in Naviance
- request all teacher letters of recommendation in Naviance ( Colleges Tab--- Colleges I’m Applying To). Make sure to talk to your teachers as well!
- you must complete and submit a blue packet to your counselor for school reports and recommendations at least three weeks before your deadline
- if you no longer need a recommendation letter from a teacher please have the courtesy to cancel the request in Naviance and to let the teacher know in person.
- all transcript requests must be requested in Naviance.
- if you are no longer going to apply to a school remove it from "Colleges I am Applying To"
- don't wait until the last minute to complete your application
NHS SPRING MEETING & COMMITMENT FORMS
Commitment Form Turn In: Thursday, Jan. 21st. Turn in your completed form (located at www.planonhs.com) in the Bldg. B Lecture Hall during both lunches, 7th period or afterschool.
CLINICALS & PHARMACY TECH PROGRAMS APPLICATION DEADLINE
- If you took Principles of Health Science your Sophomore year and would like to apply for the Clinicals Program for the coming school year (2016-17) applications are available for pick up from Mrs. Waters in A221 or Mrs. Miller in A214. Applications are due NO later than Friday, January 22nd.
- If you would like to apply for the 1 hour Pharmacy Technician program and have taken Principles of Health Science, Chemistry, and Algebra 2, please pick up an application in Rooms A221 or A214.
LEGALLY BLONDE – THE MUSICAL TICKET SALES
PSHS Theatre presents Legally Blonde – The Musical on Thursday, Jan. 21st - Saturday, Jan. 23rd at 7:00pm and Sunday, Jan. 24th at 2:00pm (ASL Interpreted Performance). Performances are in the Doyle Dean Performing Arts Center at PSHS. Tickets are $10 and $15, and can be purchased at www.pshstheatre.com . Tickets will also be sold on Thursday, Jan. 21st & Friday, Jan. 22nd in the Cafeteria during both lunches. You do NOT want to miss this show!!!
GRADUATION CAP & GOWN ORDERS: If you have not already done so, please visit www.texasgradshop.com to order cap and gown and announcements. You can NO LONGER order the cap and gown at www.Jostens.com. For delivery in late March at PSHS, your order needs to be submitted NO LATER than Tuesday, March 1st. This will also ensure that your size will be available.
Yearbook can be purchased now through Jan. 29, 2016 for $80. After Jan. 29, cost increases to $90. Buy at jostensyearbooks.com or pick up an order form in B208.
Prom tickets are on sale now through March 4, 2016, for the reduced-price of $25/student. Price increases to $30/student after March 4, 2016. At the door, tickets will be $40/student. Buy now and safe money….Purchase on parent portal under “student fees.”
More prom info….St. Andrew’s prom closet will be open Tues., Wed., & Thurs., March 1-3, 2016, 4 – 8 pm, and Sat., March 5, 9 – 12 noon. Their only requirement is that the high school girl must be in attendance to shop. Prom closet is located at St. Andrews United Methodist Church, 5801 W. Plano Pkwy., Plano, 75093.
*IMPORTANT* PISD STANDARD RESPONSE PROTOCOL
Parents: PLEASE READ the attachments from PISD safety and security about the Standard Response Protocol in case of an emergency. Thank you!
PLANO ISD INFOCENTER
SchoolMessenger has been updated to now include the InfoCenter mobile app. This allows our parents to login and control how they receive communications from their school or district.
The InfoCenter app provides access to all their messages and information sent by PISD (campus and district). This will be accessible from any internet-enabled device and visually displays and organizes alerts, notifications, and attachments for review and reference. InfoCenter app also allows parents to customize how they receive communications from us. Parents have been asking for this and it will help them get messaging the way they want to receive it.
Parent will sign up for the InfoCenter app using the email address that they have on file with the district. This is the one they provide on the emergency card.
They will download the InfoCenter SchoolMessenger app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Market. They can also access the InfoCenter web portal at https://infocenter.schoolmessenger.com/
We have provided a link on the online Emergency Card (Parent/Guardian Information tab) with all the information they will need to sign up if they choose to do this. Here is what they now see.
The contact information you provide below (Email Address and Phone Numbers) is used for school communication to you, either individually or in mass. Our automated notification system has a website and apps for iPhone and Android that will allow you to specify how the notification system contacts you. This link for the SchoolMessenger InfoCenter will open in a new browser window or tab and you’ll use the email address you have provided to us below to log in. Be sure to finish your child’s emergency card first and always be sure to sign on the last tab. Once complete, explore the InfoCenter and let us know if you have any questions.
Let me know if you have any questions....
Below is some verbiage that you may wish to use for your newsletters.
Plano ISD has implemented InfoCenter, allowing you to better control how you receive communications from your school or district. The following is a guide to help you get started.
What is InfoCenter?: InfoCenter provides access to all the messages and information sent by your organization. Accessible from any internet-enabled device, InfoCenter visually displays and organizes alerts, notifications, and attachments for easy review and reference. InfoCenter also allows you to customize how you receive communications from PISD (campus and district).
How do I sign up for InfoCenter?: Signing up for InfoCenter is easy. Using the email address that you have on file for your district (emergency card), follow these three steps:
1. Download the InfoCenter by SchoolMessenger app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Market. You can also access the InfoCenter web portal at https://infocenter.schoolmessenger.com/
2. Click the “New User” button, enter your email address, and create a password. An email will be sent to that address with a secure token. Note: If you receive an “already claimed by another user account” error message that means you’ve already created a SchoolMessenger account via another SchoolMessenger product, such as Contact Manager. Simply follow the “Return to login” link and login. Use the “Forgot your password” link if needed.
3. After authenticating via the token sent to your email, return to InfoCenter and sign in using your email and password.
What’s in InfoCenter?:Once you’ve created your account, the records associated with your email address will be linked automatically. You can then:
- View the records associated with your account.
- Review the last 30 days worth of messages for all your associated records.
- View your contact information, and configure how you’d like to receive notifications.
Important Things to Know:
- Regardless of how you choose to receive notifications, all messages associated with your records will be retained in the InfoCenter inbox for 30 days.
- You can opt into receiving Device Notifications (Push) under Notification Preferences. When choosing to receive Device Notifications, a badge or alert will appear when you receive new communications from Plano ISD.
Our provider, SchoolMessenger, makes the security and privacy of your data a top priority. As one of over 100 approved signatories to Student Privacy Pledge, you can feel ensured that your student’s information is safe and will never be sold, rented or shared.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
~ ~ ~ PSHS...TRADITION OF EXCELLENCE ~ ~ ~
Plano Senior High School
Plano Senior High School Website:
PSHS PTSA Website: