A New Discovery! Titanium
By: Juan Garcia
A new element
In the year 1791 and a new discovery has been made by British clergyman and mineralogist William Gregor. The discovery of a new element not founded before...Titanium in a black sand called menachanite.Titanium’s properties, which are a combination of high strength, stiffness, toughness, low density, and good corrosion resistance.
Uses for Titanium
- Titanium is use in aerospace market mostly crafting air frames and engines.Titanium alloy is used in aircraft,spacecrafts,Jewelry,clocks,armored vehicles, and construction of buildings.
- Since titanium has resistance to sea water, it is used to make propeller shafts and rigging and in the heat exchangers of desalination plants and in heater-chillers for salt water aquariums.
- Titanium plays an important role in industrial, domestic and artistic construction and use
- Even in our everyday life we use titanium such as golf clubs,rings,watches,etc
- Boiling point:5,948°F(3,287°C)
- Normal Phase: Solid
- Atomic #: 22
- Electrons: 22
- Atomic Mass: 47.88
- Melting point: 3,034°F(1,668°C)
The origin of the name is derived from the titans,the sons of the Earth goddess of Greek mythology, and it belongs in the transition metal family.Williams Gregory didn't not name the element until it was re-discovered in a ore rutile by a German chemist, Klaproth. Pure Titanium was not discovered till 1910 by Matthew A. Hunter.
- Titanium is the ninth most abundant metal in the Earth's crust
- The SR-71 "Blackbird" war plane was the first aircraft to use titanium extensively in its structure and skin.
- Titanium is the only element that burns in nitrogen
- Titanium is often used in fireworks!!!
- Titanium is as strong as steel, but 45% lighter
- Titanium has a low density and good strength
- It is also 100% recyclable
- It does no harm to the human body because its bio-compatible
- Total known reserves for Titanium is estimated exceed 600 million ton
- Titanium does not occur naturally, but is always found bonded to another element