Ms. Phillips' 1st Grade Newsletter
Friday, January 15, 2016
- January 18- MLK Jr. Day (District Closed)
- January 21- Sweeny PTO Skate Night at Springfield Skateland (6-8 p.m.)
- January 27- Project Sweeny at 9:15 a.m.
- January 29- Sweeny PTO Movie Night (5:30-7:30 p.m.)
- January 29- Scholastic Book Orders Due
Next Wednesday is our 100th Day of School! The students are eagerly awaiting a day of celebration with fun activities planned. If you have signed up to donate an item for our special snack, please have that turned in by 8:30 a.m. on Wednesday morning.
The students finished their middle of the year writing prompts this week! I am excited to grade those this weekend and relay next week the wonderful progress the students have made in their writing! Be on the look out in our next newsletter for the data from that benchmark! :)
MLK Jr. Day
Next Monday our district will not be in session because our nation will be honoring an American hero, Martin Luther King Jr. The students have learned so much about Dr. King this past week and why he is so special. Here are a couple of events taking place on Monday in Springfield to celebrate Dr. King:
MLK Jr. Day
- The NAACP Martin Luther King Jr. March begins at 9:30 a.m. at the Mediacom Ice Park, 635 E. Trafficway. The march route will end at the Gillioz Theatre, 325 Park Central Square.
- 15th Annual Multicultural Festival is noon-4 p.m. at Juanita K. Hammons Hall, 525 S. John Q. Hammons Parkway. This event is at Missouri State University.
Words of the Week- her, tell, after, green, white
Pattern- ell (bell, shell, smell, tell, etc.)
Words Their Way sort- ill, ell, all
Next week we will explore main idea with nonfiction texts. Since the students love nonfiction, I am excited to see what they can do with main idea using texts and topics that interest them!
The students will begin writing nonfiction essays. We will study what nonfiction writing is next week and look at examples of nonfiction writing to help guide our writing.
Next week we will study the human body. We will be investigating the different systems and what they do.
Thank you for your continued support and dedication to your child's success! Please let me know if I can answer any of your questions or concerns. I hope you have blessed and restful week! :)