Welcome to Kate's Advisory!
Importance of Morning Advisory
- Soft landing for all students, set tone for day
- Build community, personal and social skills, executive functioning
- Greet, share, reflect, game…building skills in fun, non threatening manner
- Please note school starts at 8:00, which is earlier than LS
- Please have your child enter through the MS steps rather than LS entrance
Whom Do I Contact?
- Concerns about a specific subject: contact the teacher directly
- General concerns social, emotional, physical, patterns in academic work in general: contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Urgent or emergency messages should go through Aleena Amir
- Check mygds daily. Homework posted by 3:15 daily.
- Students write their assignments in their GDS assignment books also.
- Importance of SELF ADVOCACY for students. We want them to 'carry as much of the suitcase' as they can.
Homework on gds. org: Use the "Calendar" and "Active" View
- This is not the default position on gds. org, but is vital for students to use!
Every Friday,Taught by advisors and Rhonda Jackson
Rotation of 3 topics: Digital Citizenship, Living GDS Mission, Study Skills
- Sample topics- locker organization, creating a growth mindset, learning styles
Wednesday, Thursday last period, “study hall”
Self directed opportunity for extra help, self advocacy opportunities
Sixth Grade Seminar and Service Learning
- Purpose: Ground students in the mission of the school while utilizing the school’s commitment to social justice to inspire students to be their best selves.
- Different learning modes will be used to examine topics such as identity development, student voice, and empowerment of youth.
- Taught in advisory by Julia Blount
- Service: Five Wednesdays in the first semester and five Wednesdays in second semester. Nina Grillo-Balthrop is coordinator.
- Use the pre-arranged absence form for planned absences.
Contact me if your child would like to share a treat! Many students still love to do that! Friday we do not eat as an advisory. Students have "Out to Lunch".