Gunter ISD Online Newsletter
Back to School Issue - August 2022
A New Look!
The Tiger Times has taken on a new look for the 2022-23 school year. The new platform will allow us to share all of the same content with you in a more up to date, concise fashion.
By using this platform for the newsletter, we will be able to:
- share a variety of media
- keep the view consistent on all platforms
- maintain ADA compliance
- maintain the email list more appropriately
There are always exciting things to read about, and now you don't have to wait for the monthly issue to come out to read about them! Our website and the GISD App offer the ability to share news stories relating to the campus or district. Please visit those sites to view the latest stories inside the classroom and around the campus. Click the campus below to view the home page for each site where the News section appears.
The best resource for activities taking place in our district is the District Calendar.
Click here to download the 2022-23 Academic Calendar.
Keep scrolling in this newsletter to find announcements, sports updates, reminders, highlights, and much more!
Welcoming our NEW Faculty/Staff!
Gunter ISD is excited to welcome our new employees to the district. Visit our home page to "meet" the new GISD faculty and staff members. (Scroll down until you see them!) If you see them around town, be sure to say hi and introduce yourself!
Registration - 2022-23 School Year
Student Registration is open. Registration must be completed ASAP. If you have already registered, thank you! Failure to complete enrollment will result in your child not being assigned a teacher or course schedule.
To register, simply log into your Parent Portal account and complete the forms available to you. If you are new or need further instructions, please visit our Registration webpage at https://www.gunterisd.org/page/registration
Register your child for transportation services by August 5th in order to ride the 1st day of school! If you have already registered, you are done :) Please don't register twice.
2022-23 Bus Registration form is open, click here: https://forms.gle/nddnLXD4Kwe9DXLJ6
The Bus Rider Handbook may be downloaded from this link: https://5il.co/uzjw
IMPORTANT DATES REGARDING TRANSPORTATION REGISTRATION
- All returning riders will need to re-enroll for the 2022-2023 school year.
- If you feel that your child will need to ride the bus at all during the school year, please register them. They will not be allowed to ride the bus unless they are registered.
- Students who are registered by August 5th will be eligible to start riding the bus the first day of school, August 17th.
- Registration will close from August 6th – August 14th to allow time to route our students for the 1st week of school.
- Registration will open back up on Monday, August 15th. If you register your child August 15th – August 17th they will be eligible to start riding the bus on Monday, August 22nd.
- Any student registered after August 17th will not be eligible to ride the bus until Wednesday, August 24th.
- All students registered for the bus AFTER August 22nd will be eligible to ride the bus 48 business hours AFTER registering. For example, if you register your child at 4pm on Wednesday, August 24th they will be eligible to ride on Monday, August 29th.
Once you have registered your child, you will receive a phone call or email with routing information no later than 4pm on Monday, August 15th (those registered 7/1-8/5). Please call or email us if you do not receive a call or email.
Afternoon Transportation Schedule:
- Tier 1: Buses will depart GES with students at 3:30 PM.
- Tier 2: Buses will return to the secondary pick-up zone after completing the Tier 1 route. Exact time may vary but will most likely be between to 3:55-4:00 PM.
If you have any questions, please contact Nicole Mann at (903) 696-1500 or email@example.com.
Free/Reduced Lunch Application
Free and Reduced qualification will be determined through an application process for the 2022-23 school year. Please fill out the Free/Reduced meal application today! You may download the application and directions on our website at https://www.gunterisd.org/page/food-services
Return all applications to Mrs. Lauren Rogers at the high school campus.
The federal program that allowed our cafeterias to provide free meals for our students last year has not been renewed. Gunter ISD Child Nutrition Department will begin charging for all meals (Breakfast and Lunch) beginning the first day of school, August 17th. Read the full press release here: https://5il.co/1e0b6
Official 2022-23 meal prices are listed on our website at this link: https://www.gunterisd.org/page/menus
School Supply Lists
It's time to get ready for the 2022-23 school year? School supply lists for each campus may be found at the following links.
- Elementary: https://5il.co/1dd4p
- Middle School: link: https://5il.co/1daa4
- High School teachers may prefer to give their list during the first week of school. Here is the link for those who have shared a list beforehand: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GRomuO6aKmVbx12amFKZ7-q--PWaTHgi_UU70w8Vcok/edit?usp=sharing
Beginning of the Year Activities
Don't miss out on these beginning of the year meetings/activities!
- August 2nd - Kinder Camp for Incoming Kindergartners @ GES 6:30 - 7:30 PM
- August 8th - New to Gunter Elementary Parent Orientation @ GES 6:30 - 7:30 PM
- August 9th - Pre-K Parent Orientation (Parents Only) @ GES 6:00 - 7:00 PM
- Meet the Teacher - Monday August 15th
- Students last name A-L 6:00 - 7:00 PM
- Students last name M-Z 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM
** These times are opposite of the middle school so you can attend both (if need be) :)
Why Come? You can meet your teachers, bring supplies, and find your classroom
- NEW TO GMS ORIENTATION - MONDAY, AUGUST 8th
* Building will be open 6:00 - 8:00 PM
Who should come?
- ALL 5th Graders
- "New to GISD" 6th – 8th Graders
What is happening at this event?
- Meet teachers, bring supplies, set up lockers, tour building
- Parent Meetings: 6th-8th Grade - 6PM | 5th Grade - 7PM
- OPEN HOUSE – MONDAY, AUGUST 15th
* Building will be open 6:00 - 8:00 PM
Who should come?
- All GMS students are welcome.
* If you attended the New to GMS Orientation, you do not need to attend.
Students last name M-Z 6:00 - 7:00 PM
Students last name A-L 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM
** These times are opposite of the elementary school so you can attend both (if need be) :)
What is happening at this event?
- Meet teachers, bring supplies, set up lockers
SCHEDULE PICK UP
Seniors: Monday, August 8th 5:00 - 7:00 PM - Join us for hotdogs, cornhole, washers!Juniors/Sophomores: Tuesday, August 9th 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM or 2:00 - 6:00 PM
Freshman: (Orientation/Schedule Pick up) Thursday, August 11th 6:00 - 7:30 PM
* We will begin in the commons area
GMS and GHS students who have signed up for AP courses will likely have a summer assignment. Don't wait until the last minute to complete these.
Links to your assignments may be found right here: https://5il.co/1eujp
Contact the teacher with any questions.
Middle School Summer Band
Date: August 8th – 10th
Time: 2:30pm to 2:30pm
Location: Band Hall
Here are somethings that will be done during summer band:
- Pre-pay your band fees ($50 this year)
- Get your new binder
- School instruments will be checked out (if you had one over the summer, bring it!)
- We will begin new music for the Fall!
Band Summer Shout Out!
The ATSSB Outstanding Performance Series Area round adjudication took place early this past summer, and we are excited to announce that we had TWO State Bound groups!!
The Gunter Middle School band is the Area Champion for the Concert Category! They also had another piece place 3rd in the same category to allow advancement to state!! The Gunter High School Band is the Area Champion for 3A March Category!
Many top ranked band programs in the state compete at the Area competition, and to take home 1st place for both programs is HUGE! Please be sure to congratulate those students on their accomplishments!!Congratulations to the Middle School State Honor Band and Director, Scott Kennedy, who placed 4th in their Class 1C Concert! They performed "Blue Ridge Reel" as their competition piece. We are proud of you, and excited to watch you earn more successes in the 22-23 school year!
Mr. Fletcher Receives Grant
We are excited to announce that GMS STEAM teacher, Steve Fletcher, applied for, and received a grant from Ruiz 4 Kids Mini Grant program. He will receive Six Snap Circuit Electronic Kits. These kits will be used in his classroom, as well as, the 5th grade science classroom. Thank you, Ruiz 4 Kids, for helping GISD to empower our students to learn!
Attention: Dual Credit Students
Reminders for Dual Credit Students:
- Students – Check your email for a next steps message from Grayson College. Some of you are still missing the permission form they sent to your email.
- Payments for the Fall Semester are due through your Grayson MyViking portal on August 15th
- Please send your TSI scores to firstname.lastname@example.org if you took your TSI test at a Grayson College campus over the summer.
- Email Mr. Waggoner if you do not have anything from Grayson and know you completed your TSI test and Dual Credit application.
The GISD School Board considers safety and security to be of utmost importance. This summer, they voted unanimously to add two additional police officers to our district staff. This means there will be one officer assigned to each campus.
These officers are responsible for the safety of our students and faculty. We hope you will give them a welcoming wave and smile if you see them during student drop off and pick-up times. We also ask that you abide by any requests made by our officers as they work to increase the safety measures in our district.
Gunter High School Parking Permit
This is reminder that students are required to register for a Gunter ISD Parking Permit to operate a motor vehicle on GISD Campuses.
Students must request the parking permit by completing the application and pay a $25.00 fee to park in a school parking lot.
To obtain a 2022-2023 parking permit application email Chief Thomas at email@example.com; you will receive an email back with instructions to complete the application.
Once the parking permit application is completed, students must present a valid driver’s license and proof of insurance to be eligible for a parking permit.
As long as a space is available, parking permits may be issued throughout the year.
Students will not be permitted to:
• Park across a white or yellow line
• Park in a fire lane
• Sit in parked cars during school hours
Students may be subject to a traffic violation or disciplinary action for violation of these rules.
Join your campus PTO
Each campus has a wonderful group of parents who work together to help bring smiles to the teachers and students. Check out their Facebook page or contact information below to join them.
GHS PTO - Email your name, cell number and email address GHSPTO@mail.com
GMS PTO - Contact us through our Facebook page @guntermiddleschoolpto
GES PTO - Contact us through our Facebook page | @gunterelementarypto
Text @gespto1 to 81010 to join
Meet the Tigers
Meet the Tiger has been postponed - Please disregard any past notices of it being held on August 6th
Fall Sport Schedules
Coaches will place their 2022-23 Schedule on their sport page of our website.
Cross Country - Cross Country | Gunter ISD
Football - Football | Gunter ISD
Volleyball - Volleyball | Gunter ISD
All events are placed on the District Calendar located on our GISD website. This is the best place to look for schedule changes during the year.
Football Gate Entry Fees for 2022 Season
Gate entry fees have changed for the 2022 season. Please make a note of these price changes before coming to the games.
- Sub-Varsity Games: $3 Students and Adults
- Varsity Games: $5 Students and Adults
** All Gunter students in grades 7-12 may show their school ID for free entry to home games.
Summer Sport Camp
Our Tigers have the opportunity to attend many camps during the summer. These students are committed to giving 100%, AND some of their summer vacation to work on drills and skills to improve their performance. These are just a few of the pictures from some of the camps offered at Gunter.