The Art of Creating Personalized Learning Environments
Ferndale November Edition
Tools of the Craft
A BIG request from EC teachers was to have the ability to use the classroom management tools on the tablets with the kids they serve. Now you CAN become a “co-teacher” in the classes you teach and use the class management tools with your kids! Thank you AmplifyJ Here are the instructions for how to do this as well as some hints for use:
OR…the boiled down version:
1) Get the class code from the classroom teacher’s tablet. Here is how:
a. From the classroom teacher’s tablet, tap on the class notebook that you want to join
b. Click on “Classroom Manager” on the right
c. Click on “Co-teachers” at the top
d. There is the code to share with the EC teacher
2) From EC teacher’s tablet home screen, tap on “Join Class”
3) Enter the code you got from the classroom teacher
4) As Ms. Reynolds would say, Ta-Da!
FYI, if you join a class as co-teacher you will be the co-teacher of that class all year. You cannot remove yourself as co-teacher once you are added as a co-teacher.
Let me know if you have questions and please provide feedback as you encounter errors or things that could be improved. As you can see, Amplify really listens to our feedback, so it is important to provide this as often as possible.
PLE Resource Center (PLERC)
Never fear, the PLERC is here! Here's what's available to you in the PLERC (even if you've been before, take a look, as there's some new stuff!):
- Quick Links - On the left-hand side, you'll notice some quick links to places you may go to often, including Amplify Playlist Builder, Office 365, and Edmodo.
- Learn About PLE - Get the basics on what Personalized Learning means in GCS.
- Find Peer-Related Content Resources - Find and share resources, including Amplify Playlists, from other teachers in the district.
- Training Course Resources - Couldn't get to one of the sessions offered at our summer training? Want to remember what you were taught in one of the sessions? Hear about a session offered at another school that we didn't have? Go here to find all of the PPT presentations offered this summer at the middle school summer PACE trainings.
- Take the PLE Self-Assessment - Wondering just how good you're doing with this PLE stuff? Take the assessment to see where your strengths and weaknesses are.
- The Amplify Tablet - Yeah, you've been waiting for this one. Go deep into this section to find videos and written instructions for pretty much everything you can do on the tablet.
- Other Resources - At this time, there's not much in there for you, but feel free to look around!
Behavior Management in a 21st Century Classroom
- Strong Classroom Expectations and Consequences - Students show know what behavior you expect, and you have to hold them accountable. If you're having trouble with this, look to your peers and administrators for advice on where you can make improvements.
- Plan and implement engaging lessons - If students are excited to learn, they won't be trying to get out of doing it! Don't think you can't do it because the behavior is too out of control. It may just be a chicken/egg situation - which one comes first?
- Use Class Tools on the Tablet to monitor - Open the Classroom Manager (under Start Class) and see what students are doing on their tablet. Just remember that students have figured out how to "hack" their way out of things like "Eyes on Teacher" and "App Blocker", so...
- Walk around the room - If students know that at any moment you could walk up behind them, they're less likely to chance you catching them. And carry your tablet with you as you walk around the room, so that you can be watching to see who needs your attention.
Learning Styles Assessment and Survey
Instructional Technology Department Offerings
You can reach me by e-mail when I am not in the building.