Tonasket School District
Weekly Update ~ 8/28/2020
"Focused on Learning and Linking Learning to Life"
Be Positive, Be Grateful, Be Involved, Be Flexible
As you can see from the data above our county has reduced its cases per 100,000 significantly since early August. We need to get closer to 75 cases per 100,000 in order to bring students back to campus, so we have a way to go still.
I recently read an article about a school in Germany that safely reopened for in-person instruction last spring and is now fully open. When asked what they attributed their success to, the Director of Schools stated, "Schools don't reopen schools. Communities reopen schools." The Director went on to say that their success reflected the willingness of their entire community to socially distance themselves, wear masks, and participate in testing. (paragraph is stolen from a fellow superintendent, but I really did read the article)
Our community has taken great steps in combating this disease, but only working together can we reopen our schools.
We (TSD) submitted an exemption request to the County Health Department to start bringing small groups of students on campus starting with those most impacted by our distance learning. I will keep you updated on the status of this request.
SCHOOL DISTRICT GOALS:
Capital Project Update
- When you returned to the buildings, you probably noticed the safety and security project is nearing completion with doors and windows installed. We are waiting for the electronics to be installed.
- The shop project architect plans are near completion and should be ready for board review in September or October.
- Phase two of the HVAC system was completed at the beginning of August with the installation of the new boilers in the HS/MS.
Powerful Teaching and Learning
District Culture and Climate
College, Career, Life Readiness
Parent and Community Engagement
Creative and Innovative
TEA and PSE Updates
- Aldona Graves – Kindergarten Teacher
- Jacob Wicken – 3rd Grade Teacher
- Christopher Musa – HS Math Teacher
- Jessica Bolt – MS Counselor
- Cheri Wahl - MS Math Teacher