Using multiplication properties to solve problems
How can I apply the properties of multiplication?
Standards and Anchors:
CC.2.1.4.B.2 Use place-value understanding and properties of operations to perform multi-digit arithmetic.
- Watch the video about problem solving.
- Choose one of the problems (Football Fanfare or Rabbit's Run) to solve.
- Follow each step in the lesson and be sure to submit each requirement to receive full credit.
Grade: Total assignment is worth 10 pts.
Step 1 : Understanding the Problem (2 pts)
- Choose one of the problems above. DO NOT TRY TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM AT THIS TIME.
- Read the problem several times.
- What important math information and relationships do you notice that might help to solve the problem?
Click here If you are solving Football Fanfare and post your ideas in the Padlet.
Click here If you are solving Rabbit's Run and post your ideas in the Padlet.
When you are done come back here for Step 2 of the lesson.
Grade: 2 pts. for Padlet post.
Step 2: Make a model (3 pts)
Make sure you look at the ways in which your classmates have represented the problem. Then come back and finish the lesson when you are done.
Grade: 3 pts for picture/representation posted on Padlet
Step 3: Solve the Problem (3 pts)
Grade: 3 pts for solution and reasoning
Step 4: Reflecting on the Solution (2 pts)
- Does your answer make sense?
- How do you know that this is the right answer?
- Do you have anything you are still wondering about in the problem?
- Is there a different way to solve the problem that would be easier?
Grade: 2 pts for reflection