Lubbock-Cooper North Elementary
Launching the Next Generation
North Happenings: September 2020
A Great Start!
Here are some important September events we don't want you to miss:
- Virtual Re-Entry Deadline - September 2
- Flashback Fridays start - September 4 (information below)
- Labor Day (NO SCHOOL) Student/Staff Holiday - September 7
- M.A.P. (Measures of Academic Progress) Window - September 8 - September 18 (information below)
- Fall Fundraiser (information will be sent home) - September 18 - October 6
- Snack Shack - September 25
A Look Ahead to October:
- Fall Picture Day - October 1
- Flashback Friday - October 2
- Student Holiday (NO SCHOOL)/Teacher Professional Development Day - October 12
- End of the first Nine Weeks grading period - October 16
Ms. MaryAnn - PEIMS Secretary
Ms. Dianne - Attendance Clerk
Ms. Regina - Registrar
Ms. Helen - Receptionist
Measures of Academic Progress® (MAP®).
During September 8-September 18, 2019, your child will take tests called Measures of Academic Progress® (MAP®). We give students MAP Growth tests to determine their instructional level and to measure academic growth throughout the school year, and from year to year in the areas of Math, Reading, and Science. Your child will take the tests on a computer or iPad.
MAP Growth tests are unique in that they adapt to be appropriate for your child’s level of learning. As a result, each student has the same opportunity to succeed and maintain a positive attitude toward testing. Utilizing MAP Growth tests allows us to administer shorter tests and use less class time while still receiving detailed, accurate information about your child’s growth.
Each school year, students in grades Kindergarten through eighth grade will take the tests in September, January and April. Kindergarten will take the MAP Growth K-2 Reading assessment, while grades 1 and 2 will take the MAP Growth Reading and Math assessments. Students in grades 3-8 will take the MAP Growth assessments in Reading, Math, and Science.We are truly excited to begin a new era that focuses on every child’s individual growth and achievement. Partnering to help all kids learn, parents and teachers can have a profound positive effect on the lives of our children.
Teachers on the Rise
Mrs. Baird’s Teachers On The Rise program is returning to the Lubbock and South Plains area for the ninth school year. Mrs. Baird's is excited to honor more great teachers this year because we know great things happen in our classrooms every single day.
As we saw last spring, even though students may not be on campus, great teaching still takes place from a distance. With the start of the 2020-21 school year looking a little different as well, the creativity and compassion from our teachers will truly show, and we want to hear about it.
This is a student/family nominated program, so please let your Lubbock-Cooper North Elementary teachers know how much they are appreciated!
To nominate, just log onto http://www.mrsbteacher.com/ or simply google "Teachers On The Rise".
Teachers On The Rise
NORTH ELEMENTARY P.T.O. (PARENT/TEACHER ORGANIZATION)
- To sign up for the North P.T.O. GroupMe, use the link:
- This will give you access to important information and dates during the year.