September 9, 2020
Getting into the School-Year Swing
What a tremendous start we had last week! 96% of our students were present for the first week of remote learning, which beyond exceeded our exceptions. We appreciate both your and your students' patience and curiosity while learning the new technology, as well as adapting to everything we have in store to make the Northwood community connected and strong, even while physically apart.
Please remember, we are providing meals for all! Pick up for multiple meals is at our cafeteria (Adams Ave. entrance) on Mondays and Thursdays between 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. and 1:00-4:00 p.m. We are hoping more of our families take advantage of this cost saving and nutritional convenience.
1st Day of School
New Kindergarten student LéAnn Manley is all smiles and ready for her first day at Northwood!
Find out the schedule for each grade's daily dose of creativity, movement, and hands-on learning below!
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
Northwood has always stood by these key tenets, and we are excited to go even deeper this year through DEI Committee work. See below for more information.
1st Day of School
Remote Learning Goals
Initially we were concerned about early attendance being lower because of anticipated glitches with technology access and remote challenges. However, we kicked it out the park with 96% attendance on our first week of fully synchronous remote school! We are thrilled with this dedication from our school community.
Class Materials Update
On the following dates, the following items with be available for distribution:
Monday, September 14th - 1:00-4:00 p.m.
Thursday, September 17th - 1:00-4:00 p.m.
- K-3 Reading workbooks
- 5th and 6th grade novels
- 8th grade science workbooks.
We have not received our Chromebook shipment yet. We are speaking with our distributor regularly and keeping the pressure on. We are sorry for the delay and will notify you as soon as we can of their arrival.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee
Parent Voices Needed!
Please consider joining our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Committee.
On June 2nd, our CEO shared a letter in response to the death of George Floyd and nationwide cry for systematic reform. She outlined that our response would include deeper work in relation to our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion schoolwide commitment.
To that end, we are seeking parents to join us as our DEI committee launches into goal and vision setting. We would love to hear your perspective and expertise to help us inform this critical work. The commitment would tentatively be virtually joining our DEI committee on the second Fridays of each month between 2-3:15 p.m. Please email Amy Hollister- firstname.lastname@example.org if you are curious about this work and are ready to join us! We would like to identify parents by September 24th.
- On September 29th, 30th and October 1st there will be the first of a series of parent workshops offered. Each day will be designated for different grade groups.
- The topic will be "Mastering the Balancing Act - Managing Work/Life Responsibilities".
The format will be a virtual coffeehouse session,
A recording of the session and toolkit will be provided.
More information to come!
Specials Schedule - The weekly specials schedule for each grade be found below.
Important Dates to Remember
- Meet and greet for all families who are new to Northwood is being held virtually via Zoom.
- We look forward to meeting all of you and answering any questions you may have about Northwood Academy and the remote learning experience.
- BACK TO SCHOOL NIGHT is being held virtually via Zoom.
More information about the schedule will be shared during next week's Blast.
- School is closed on Monday, September 28th for Yom Kippur.
Check It Out!
Bulldog Blast Translation Feature
- While viewing the newsletter on your phone, select "Translate Newsletter" at the top of the screen and select the language you wish to read it in.
- If you are viewing the newsletter on your laptop, look at the top right side of the newsletter at the Accessibility Bar and click on the "Translate Newsletter" option.