P.S. 188Q Weekly Newsletter
Week of December 5th to 9th
📢PTA Empower Our Children Donation Drive continues. See the flyer below for more details!
📑December SLT meeting is December 7th via Zoom. Reach out to Mrs. Perez-Fung if you would like the Zoom link to sit in on our meeting.
🥛Please send in water with your students. We do not have water bottles to provide to students.
🚗Stop-Drop-and-Go: We need volunteers to help out at stop-drop-and-go. Please reach out the PTA @ email@example.com if you would like to volunteer.
🗨PTA School Store is open Mondays, Wednesdays and Friday mornings from 7:40-7:55 a.m.
😁The P.S 188 Snack Shack is now selling water. Everything from the Snack Shack is $1. All proceeds will be used for supplies and events for the students.
💃🕺Dancing Classrooms will begin soon. Third, Fourth AND Fifth grade students will participate this year. Fourth and Fifth grade will begin in January. Third grade will begin in the spring. We are thankful for Councilmember Lee for funding this project.
🏀We will be hosting a staff/student basketball game on December 23rd. We will also be hosting our first basketball game of the season on January 23rd. Our first game will be against P.S. 159Q. More information to come.
❄Thank you to all that donated winter decorations. The PTA Beautification Committee will be decorating the Main and the Annex for the winter.
Have a question? Contact us:
Get Your PS 188 Merch and Support 5th Grade Graduation Committee
PTA Empower Our Children Campaign
NYCDOE HIV Prevention Lessons
Starting December 19th, the NYCDOE HIV Prevention lessons will begin. There are five lessons in the NYCDOE HIV curriculum. Parents have the option to opt their child out of the one lesson. You will need to send in a letter stating that you wish for your child to opt out of the one lesson. Teachers will give students another activity to complete in another classroom during the one opt out lesson. Please take a look at the lesson overview and see the lesson contents that is linked below. Any questions- you can contact the main office.
Virtual STEM Night Was a Success!
Thank you Mr. David and the STEM club students for organizing a great STEM night for our 3rd to 5th grade students! We had 56 participants! It was a great kick off to our Computer Science for All Week!
P.S. 188Q Participates in NYCDOE Civics For All Soapbox Speeches
All students in K-5 participated in Civics for All Soapbox speeches. Students chose a topic that they were passionate about, found research to support their claim and challenged the reader to take action. Topics included saving the environment, recycling, unnecessary homework assignments, discrimination, bullying, women's rights, and littering. Each class in grades 1-5 choose one person to represent their class and share their speech with the student body. The following students in grades 1 and 2 shared their speeches in the stage:
Matthew from class 1-101
Ivy from 1-102
Savannah from 1-118
Olivia from 1-119
Swaas from 2-201
Sherri from 2-202
Zahcary from 2-203
Gia from 2-204
The following students in grades 3, 4 and 5 shared their speeches on stage:
Ibrahim from Class 3-213
Warren from 3-216
Emilia from 3-217
Victoria from 3-218
Eliana from 3/4-207
Jayden from 4-313
Oliver from 4-316
Skylar from 4-317
Riley from 4-318
Courtney from 5-301
Nisansi from 5-302
Livia from 5-303
Eloise from 5-304
We are all so proud of these students! Take a look at some pictures from the event.
And the winners representing P.S. 188Q are Savannah for K-2 and Eloise for 3-5
Super Citizen Awards for the Month of October and November
The Cluster Teachers award one student from each class that are role models for their class during their cluster period each week. Below are the winners for the months of October and November. The students' photos are displayed by the gym in the Main Building and in the stairwell to the security desk in the Annex.
September and October Student of the Month Representatives
📚December Book of the Month
Tiara has a gift for storytelling; her momma has a gift for making hats. When a new store opens that sells cheaper hats, Momma has to set her dreams aside, but Tiara has an idea for helping Momma's dreams come true again. This book touches the on DESSA Competencies of Connection Optimistic Thinking, Relationship Skills, Goal Directed Behavior, Personal Responsibility, Self-Management, and Decision Making. In recognition of a student who displays strengths/skills in the DESSA area of decision making.
- 12/5-12/09: Computer Science for All week
- December 5th: PreK and Kindergarten Book of the Month assembly---wear your P.S. 188Q trip shirt
- December 6th: Parent DEI Committee Meeting @ 9:30 a.m.
- December 7th: Grades 1-5 Book of the Month assembly---wear P.S. 188Q trip shirt; SLT Meeting via Zoom; Kindergarten application opens
- December 8th: CDEC Meeting 7:00 p.m. TBD
- December 9th: Teachers and Writers Collaborative begins for 3-216, 3-218, 4-313, 4-316 for 20 classroom sessions
- December 12th: 5th grade trip to view Strange World at College Point Multiplex; 3rd grade trip to Alley Pond Conservative Center- Seasonal Adaptations
- December 13th: 1-101 trip to Bayside Historical Society; PreK Parent Meeting with Mrs. Perez-Fung regarding Kindergarten Application
- December 15th: 1-119 trip to Bayside Historical Society; Report Cards Available on NYCSA
- December 16th: Student DEI group meeting @ 7:30 a.m. in Library; Wacky Sweater School Spirit Day
- December 16th to December 23rd- Student Council Sponsored Spirit Days
- December 19th: PJ School Spirit Day
- December 20th: 1-102 trip to Bayside Historical Society; Winter Color School Spirit Day
- December 21st: 1-118 trip to Bayside Historical Society; World Peace School Spirit Day; PTA Meeting on Zoom at 7:00 p.m. virtually
- December 22nd: Alley Pond in-class visit to PreK B8 and B9; Wish School Spirit Day
- December 23rd: Royals Merch School Spirit Day; Student/Teacher Basketball game- students only
- December 24th to January 2nd: Winter Recess
- January 3rd: Students return from Winter Recess
- January 4th: Grades 1-5 Book of the Month assembly---wear P.S. 188Q trip shirt; SLT TBD
- January 6th: Safety Meeting 7:30 a.m. via Zoom
- January 9th: PreK and Kindergarten Book of the Month assembly---wear your P.S. 188Q trip shirt
- January 12th: CDEC meeting 7:00 p.m. via Zoom
- January 16th: No School- Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- January 17th: Family DEI Meeting 9:30 a.m. via Zoom
- January 18th: PTA meeting 7:00 p.m. via Zoom
- January 20th: Coffee and Conversations with Mrs. Figueroa and Mrs. Nartowicz
- January 22nd: Lunar New Year
- January 23rd: P.S. 188Q vs. P.S. 159Q basketball game--further guidance on spectators
- January 27th: Student DEI Meeting 7:30 a.m.