NHS Family Newsletter
July 12, 2019
Graduation Class of 2020
Sunday, May 31st 2020 at 7pm
2000 Kirker Pass Road
One Month Away! (not to rush you...)
We will be sending out one more scheduling email before Walk Through Registration. Please remember that as written in the first schedule email, those class assignments are tentative. Classes will still adjust when we bring them to contract maximums (maximum class sizes) and resolve waiting lists as best we can. If you still have a question, or would like to request a schedule change, fill out the form here.
The following courses are not being offered in the 2019-20 school year- there is a chance a couple may come back with additional funding, and we will message that out if it becomes available.
- Gender Studies
- AP Comp Sci A
- Computer Tech (Help Desk)
- PLTW/ ROP Engineering
- Sports Leadership
- Creative Writing/Public Speaking
- ROP Vet Science
- Intro to Programming
- Computer Science Discoveries
- Transition to College Math and Statistics
- ROP Journalism
The following new courses are being offered next year:
- AP Calculus BC
- Advanced Sports Medicine* (articulated with DVC)
- Chem of Earth (this course replaces traditional Chemistry I)
- Living Earth (this course replaces traditional Biology)
Thanks to our PFC and some angel donations, as well as our admin team taking on some additional work, we are going to be able to offer some previously cut courses, including:
- German Honors and AP German
- Work Experience
PFC Funding could not have been possible without parent participation and fundraising efforts. Huge kudos and thank you to our PFC leadership, and please continue to get involved! Parents have asked many times how they can help when their favorite classes have been at risk, or teacher layoffs were upon us. You can find the Ed Fund donation form below. Join the PFC today!
Who can I contact?
Last Name A-G ...................................Naseem Saremifirstname.lastname@example.org~~~ext 3546
Last Name H-O....................................Kristen Blighemail@example.com~~~~ext 3526
Last Name P-Z.....................................Mandy Kaurfirstname.lastname@example.org~~~~ext 3539
Last Name A-L.....................................Kelly Cooperemail@example.com~~ext 3502
Last Name M-Z....................................Craig Bocksfirstname.lastname@example.org~~~ext 3503
SAVE THE DATE- Walk Through Registration
Northgate High School's Walk Through Registration (WTR) is the event where your student will get his/her class schedule, textbooks, locker assignment, resolve fines, turn in school forms, make classroom & PFC donations, buy spirit wear and yearbooks, etc.
Wednesday, August 14th
- 12th Grade 8:00–9:00 am
- 11th Grade 9:00–10:00 am
- 10th Grade 10:00–11:00 am
- 9th Grade 1:00–2:30 pm
- All Grades 2:30-3:30 pm
Students must attend their grade window only, or the final all grades window. Siblings in different grades must attend their own grade windows, or come together in the final window. All students/families must get an official schedule to begin class on the 15th. 9th grade families must complete the address verification (see below) before they receive their schedules. All fines must be resolved before receiving lockers and parking passes.
More details forthcoming, including a detailed information document to be posted on the website and sent out via email on August 2nd.
All fines must be resolved, new contracts signed in order to be assigned a locker for the upcoming school year.
Any items left in lockers over the summer can be sought after in the lost and found at walk through.
Office Hours for Address Verification:
August 2 - 8am - 2pm
August 5 - 8am - 2pm
August 6 - 8am - 2pm
August 7 - 8am - 5pm * Extended Hours
August 8 - 8am - 5pm * Extended Hours
August 9 - 8am - 2pm
August 12 - 8am - 2pm *Last chance before walk through
August 14th Walk Through- 1pm-3:30pm Address verification will be available, but will greatly delay walk through process!
All 9th grade students must go through residency verification in order to get their schedule.
See the attached documentation for verification requirements.
First Day of School - August 15th - See Bell Schedule!
All other students will report to school as follows:
A Period 11:30-11:50 (20) (Non-9th Graders Only)
1st Period 12:30-12:50 (20)
2nd Period 12:55-1:17 (22)
3rd Period 1:22-1:44 (22)
4th Period 1:49-2:11 (22)
5th Period 2:16-2:38 (22)
6th Period 2:43-3:05 (22)
Sending Thank You's and Good Luck!
- Sandy Harris- Sandy served as the department chair for Special Education, and ran our Magnet program for students with Autism. She retired after so many years and looks forward to traveling to take care of her grandchildren.
- Patti Kjonaas- Patti ran the Ceramics program at NHS for years, and is retiring to pursue her masters in pottery, and work in her home studio.
- Robin Spring- Robin taught 9th grade English for many years at NHS. She retired and is looking forward to reading books NOT on the required reading list!
- Maria Viscogliosi- Maria worked 16 years at NHS as a Special Education Assistant. Maria is looking forward to retiring and sleeping in. She has plans to work in her garden.
- Chase Templeton- Chase taught Biology and Physiology at NHS for three years, and he coached water polo and swimming as well. Chase has secured a teaching position in the San Ramon Valley District next year.
- Jan Hepner-Martinez- Jan taught Resource in Special Education last year at NHS, and for many years in the district and has retired. She looks forward to working in her garden at home.
- Janette Sikorski- Janette taught English at Northgate on and off for several years. She has accepted a position with Las Lomas High School teaching Social Studies and English next year.
- Felipe Fajardo- Felipe taught Spanish at Northgate for many years. He will be teaching at Castro Valley High School next year.
- Julia Flanagan-Schmidt- Julia taught French at NHS and ran the French Club. Julia will be teaching French and becoming a faculty member of the International Baccalaureate program at Ygnacio Valley High School next year.
- Karla Branch- Karla taught Algebra I at NHS and served as advisor to the Black Student Union. She will be teaching math with the Gateway Independent Study program next year.
- Danielle Crider- Danielle taught English at NHS and has just completed her first year. Her next site is to be determined, but she is looking forward to the adventure.
- Tucker Farrar- Tucker taught Math at NHS for years before transitioning to the Dean of Students in January. He has accepted an Assistant Principal position with California High School.
Please Help Us Welcome...
- Nathan Wolman- Nathan joins us after 7 years at Valley View Middle School, and will be teaching English, Drama and Stagecraft.
- Lara Brotslaw- Lara taught at Concord High School and El Dorado Middle, and will be taking over our French program.
- Sara Holmgren- Sara joins us from Pleasant Hill Middle. She will be teaching English II and III.
- Bob Miller- Bob has been teaching science at Pine Hollow Middle School. He will be teaching Physics and Chemistry.
Fourth year in a row! Thanks to our faculty, staff and community for your hard work and dedication!
Wednesday, Aug. 14th, 8am
425 Castle Rock Road
Walnut Creek, CA
Save the Date! Junior Prom 2020
Saturday, March 14th 2020 at 7pm
Save the Date! Senior Ball 2020!
Friday, April 3rd 2020 at 7pm
Summer Reading for Parents!
Financial Aid for College
Building Resilience in Teens
More to come! Have suggestions? Feel free to email them!
Upcoming Important Dates!
- August 2-9 - Address Verification (Mandatory for all 9th grade families)
- August 5th - Sports Physicals offered in Sports Medicine 5-8pm
- August 5th - Football tryouts begin/Fall Practice begins
- August 6th- Mandatory Fall Sports Parents Meeting
- August 12th - Fall Sports Tryouts begin
- August 14th - Walk Through Registration (see above for detailed schedule)
- August 15th - First Day of School (see above for detailed schedule)
- August 21st - Parent Ed Night- Staying Ahead of the Trends in Substance Abuse
- August 27th - School Photo Day
- September 3rd - Labor Day- No School
- September 5th - Back to School Night