Takoma Park MS Community Newsletter
Week of September 26th
If you have any questions, please contact Ms. Mickens-Hundley in the main office.
Safety and Security at TPMS
Thursday, Oct. 6th, 7pm
This is an online event.
The administration invites you to attend a parent meeting on safety and security preparedness at TPMS. I highly encourage all families to attend this virtual event.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 879 8551 3066
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
From Ms. Chi, our NAACP Parent Representative
Does Your Family Love Ice Cream AND Want to Meet Other TPMS Families??? Come to next Thursday’s Ice Cream Socials for 7th and 8th Grade Families!
Reconnecting with NAACP at TPMS
What has been your experience at Takoma Park Middle School? The NAACP and parent council representative, Gladys Chi, is spearheading efforts to offer assistance, guidance, and support for African American families and families of color in pursuing the highest quality education in MCPS. Please fill out this survey to let her know how the NAACP can support you and your student(s).
Other volunteer opportunities and initiatives include:
· Support the Celebration of Culture at TPMS
The PTSA needs YOU to help us put on this year's event to celebrate kids' cultural heritage and our school's rich and diverse community! During the week of October 17 we will be having exhibits at school to celebrate international experience and cultural heritage, culminating with an evening of performances and great food (formerly known as International Night) on Friday, October 21.
To make this event a success, we need parents to volunteer at the event and share a dish for the potluck. Can you offer your time and talent to make this wonderful event a success? Please contact Jamie Iwugo and Patricia DuHuang at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
· PAL Program: Able to help get kids outside during lunch?
The TPMS Parents At Lunch. (PAL) program is requesting your support of the staff and students by volunteering 30 minutes of your time to support healthy interactions, ensure the cafeteria and outdoor areas are ready for our students to enjoy and help make lunchtime fun! You can find more details on the program and how to sign up on the PTSA website here.
· Amazon Smile Rewards Program to Support TPMS
You can support the TPMS PTSA just by shopping online at Amazon.com. Please consider bookmarking this link in your favorite Internet browser. Then you’ll be able to remember to click first on that link every time you shop at Amazon. Pass it along to grandma, grandpa, uncles, and aunts, friends, cousins, neighbors, and any others who might be interested in helping out the school. The PTSA appreciates all of your fundraising support! Amazon Smile is a program that donates 0.5% of your eligible purchases at Amazon.com to a TPMS. There is no extra cost to you or to TPMS.
Other Events and volunteer opportunities in October and November include:
- October 11: Second TPMS PTSA Meeting (7-8:30 PM, TPMS). Come meet other parents, hear about school activities and participate in a discussion with Dara Kessler of the Parent Encouragement Program sharing a "Quick Start Guide to Happier Parenting: Three Tools You Can Use Today!" Minutes from our first meeting last Tuesday are on the PTSA website here.
- October 12: TPMS Eats Out at Cielo Rojo: Local favorite Cielo Rojo is partnering with TPMS again for our annual TPMS Eats Out event. The restaurant will donate 10% of all dine in and carry out orders that day to our PTSA. More details on the PTSA website here.
- Week of October 17: International and Cultural Heritage Week
- Friday, October 21: International and Cultural Heritage Celebration & Potluck Dinner
- Tuesday, November 8: Election Day Bake Sale
- November 10-11: Health Forum
TPMS Parent Teacher Association Links: