Jaguar Band Newsletter
Your Place For Jaguar Band News
September 16th - September 22nd
Message From Mr. Lucita
Heads up! Looking ahead!
First Annual Jaguar Jog
Competition Meal Plan Deadline Extended to 9/21
Help Wanted: Game Day Meal Pick Up and Serve
2 Week Practice Schedule
You can still Purchase a Football Program Ad to Celebrate Your Student!
Helpful Reminders For Game Days
How To Sign Up With VIPS District Volunteer Program and Log Hours
Sync Your Calendar
How To Sign Up For Remind 101
From Mr. Lucita
Friday the 13th has come and gone and boy was it full of excitement! Great football game in Yorktown! Even though we lost by 1 point in overtime, it was a great game and our Jaguar Football Team, Cheer Squad, Rosettes, and Jaguar Band all had awesome performances! There was a little extra excitement on our way home as one of our buses broke down in San Marcos. However our parents and students did a great job of moving all equipment from one bus to another and the lead bus make a quick trip back to San Marcos after it unloaded to pick up the remaining students, parents, and directors. The parents that remained at Johnson were able to have the Band Semi unloaded before the bus made it back to campus which allowed everyone to head home as soon as possible! Thank you to everyone that helped us get through that experience!!
This week we have a Thursday night home game. This means that we will have practice, as usual, on Monday and Tuesday plus we will have a shorter practice on Wednesday. There is no practice on Friday. Please see calendar for times and details.
We are rapidly approaching the first 6 weeks progress report. We want to make sure everyone is aware that this is the ONLY progress report where a student may lose their eligibility to participate or compete if they fail any class. We encourage the students to attend tutorials as frequently as possible and as needed. The bands practice schedule has been developed in a way that allows a student to attend tutorials every morning and every evening to receive as much tutoring or retesting as needed without having to miss band rehearsal!
This past week students started their music benchmarks grades. This means each student is asked to perform their music individually and from memory. Please continue to encourage your student to practice and work on perfecting their individual performance! They are doing a great job and we want to see their musical performances progress even further.
We are rapidly approaching our first marching festival!! The Bands of America, Austin Regional will be here in two weeks and the students are working hard to get prepared. You will hear more about how you can help us be prepared at the upcoming band parent meeting, Tuesday, September 17th at 6:30 pm.
We are excited to share that we will start adding props, flags, and uniforms soon! Can’t wait to see “Our Journey” as it continues to develop!
Let’s have a great week and Go Jaguar Band!
Heads Up! Looking ahead!
- Band Parent Meeting will take place on Tuesday, Sept. 17, at 6:30pm in the band hall. Please make plans to attend so that you receive important game day and competition information. Mr. Lucita will also be providing a directors report! See you there!
- The Jaguar Band's first marching competition is 2 weeks away! Saturday, September 28th. Details will be provided at the band parent meeting this Tuesday.
- JHS "Up and Coming" game is October 10th and the dance is October 11th. Please know that we do have rehearsal Friday afternoon from 4:45 - 6:45 pm as we have a marching competition the next day, Saturday, October 12th. And please know that these dates were on the calendar before the "Up and Coming" dance was schedule. If you have questions, about the dance, please contact the Student Council's advisor, Ms. Boaz.
- Please know that, as the Charms calendar has listed since school started, we WILL have practice from 4:45 pm to 6:45 pm on Tuesday, October 15th even though this is a school holiday.
Behind every great band are great band parents!
First annual Jaguar Jog 5K/10K!
We are only 1 week away from our inaugural Jaguar Jog on Saturday, September 21st!!!
Please remember to sign up to run, walk or volunteer as soon as possible!!
We still have lots of volunteer spots open, please consider helping out if you can.
We would LOVE to see all our band kids and parents either in the race OR helping out as a volunteer!!!
Click here to sign up for volunteer positions:
Click here to sign up for the Race:
Please feel free to contact Joan Forsythe if there are any volunteer questions (cell 512-431-8350 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
1st marching competition is on September 28th! Do you have your meal plan yet?
Competition Meal deadline has been extended because we are trying to get as many kids on this meal plan as possible.
This plan offers 2 meals each competition day (lunch and dinner) and is highly recommended by Mr. Lucita. Please know that it is quite common for schedules to change on competition days; making it very difficult to get food to your student at the right times on those days. Please visit https://www.johnsonbands.com/shop before September 21st to purchase your meal plan(s).
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions or need assistance with ensuring your child has meals on competition days!
Game Day Meals
THANK YOU to the volunteers who helped with game day meals last week! We still have a few slots available if you are able to help out for future games.
Want to help out our Johnson Jaguar Band and Color Guard for Game Day meals? Yay! If you can pick up meals from local restaurants (Will be called and paid for) or help to serve, please sign up below. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, older siblings and friends are welcome too! If you don't have a background check filed with Hays as a volunteer, please click below to get it started. The times are subject to change as I figure out when the kids need to be fed.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
Volunteer Background Check:
Sign Up Genius to Volunteer:
You can still purchase a football program ad to celebrate your student!
If you didn't buy an ad and wish you had, you still can! Future purchases will be featured in the remaining home football games (beginning with 9/26 home game). The football programs are also great advertising space. PLEASE share this information with your JHS friends and any business owners you may know! Deadline for 9/26 home game is Saturday, 9/21.
To order, go to https://www.johnsonbands.com/programads or fill out the form below and either mail it to P.O. Box 333, Buda, TX 78610 or give it to Tracye Mendez, JHS fine arts secretary.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Helpful Reminders For Game Days
- Always pack/store uniform parts back in ONE bag so that it is ready for the next game or competition
- Short black socks are required
- Black belt is required
- Students should pack (and be encouraged to use) deodorant. Game days are long and hot!
- Label caps, shoes (initials on the label on the inside of shoes), shirts, shorts, belts (anything they are changing in to and out of). If we find these items we have no way of knowing who to return them to. With so many kids changing and carrying their clothes around, stuff inevitably gets dropped or left behind. Paint pens (these come in all colors including silver or gold which can be seen on black) or Sharpie laundry markers work best for this. Any other pen or marker will rub off.
How to sign up with VIPS district volunteer program and log hours
V.I.P.S. (Volunteers in Public Schools) is required by HaysCISD for all volunteers that will be around students. Volunteers must be approved as a VIP volunteer BEFORE volunteering.
TO SIGN UP:
- From www.hayscisd.net choose Community> Become a Hays
- CISD volunteer.
- Follow the prompts given to complete the application.
- Our VIPS coordinator is Ms. Conder. When you visit the band hall, please see her immediately to get a name badge. Bring your driver’s license in for her to see.
TO LOG VOLUNTEER HOURS:
- Go to www.hayscisd.net
- Choose the “community” tab
- Click on “become a Hays CISD volunteer”
- Click on “VIPs Rewards”
- Click on “Log your VIPs Hours (volunteers)” and log in
- Click on the drop down menu on the left –“volunteer”
9/17: 6:30 pm - 7:30 pm: Band Parents Meeting: Band Parenting 101
9/19: 7:00 pm: Home Game vs Seguin
9/21: Jaguar Jog
9/26: 5:30 pm: Home Game vs Dripping Springs
9/28: BOA Austin @ Kelly Reeves Athletic Complex (Cedar Park); Time TBA by competition host
10/4: 7:00 pm: Away Game vs Grainger
10/5: Vista Ridge Marching Festival @ Gupton Stadium (Cedar Park); Time TBA
10/10: 6:30 pm: Home Game vs Hays
10/12: Texas Marching Classic (Kelly Reeves Athletic Complex); Time TBA
10/15: 6:30 - 7:30 pm: Band Boosters General Membership Meeting
10/17: Happy Birthday Mrs. Mendez!
10/17: 6:00 - 9:00 pm: Chick-Fil-A Buda Spirit Night Fundraiser
10/19: Johnson HS 4A UIL Region Marching Contest
* Please see the calendar on Charms or Band Booster website for details. Details below.
Sync Your Calendar to Charms!
Visit the Johnson Band Website for information on how to sync the Charms calendar to your phone. "How to sync" links are located above calendar. Just click on link appropriate for your type of phone!
How To Sign Up For Remind 101
To sign up for Remind 101 for band notifications:
- Send a text message to 81010 (enter this number where you would enter the phone number)
- The message will be @jagband19 (type this where you would type your text message)
- Hit "send"
- If you did this successfully, you will receive a text informing you that you signed up for the band remind messages.
Signing up for Remind for other clubs or classes will be similar. You will always send a text to 81010 but what you type into the text box will be different. For example, for an English class, it might be @smithsenglishclass.
Follow Us/Stay Connected
Remind 101 Full Band Code - Text @jagband19 to 81010
Remind 101 Parents Code - Text @jbparents to 81010