by: Mina Mowlavi
Facts and Statistics:
- 1 in 5 teens suffer from anxiety and anxiety disorders
- Anxiety Disorder is the most common mental health problem in the United States.
- 80% of teens say that they experience stress and anxiety regularly.
- 34% of students say that they have felt depressed within the last three months, most likely due to anxiety.
- Anxiety can be a good thing. It can help you deal with uncomfortable situations. However, when anxiety because frequent and a part of everyday life, it becomes a big problem.
- Symptoms of Anxiety and Anxiety Disorder include feeings of restlessness and unease, difficulty concentrating, nausea, feeling lightheaded, and sometimes being oversoncerned and worried about daily activities.
- Teens who have anxiety are more likely to miss school and other activities.
- There are many differnet types of Anxiety disorders that teens can experience. These include generalised anxiety disorder, and Heath Anxiety. Generalised anxiety is when a person worries excessively about ordinary and everyday tasks. Health anxiety is not cassified as a disorder, however many teens experience uncontrollable and excessive thoughts concerning their health. Normally teens with this disorder with have very frequent visits to the doctor for reassurance that everything is okay.
- Anxiety can be triggered from any number of things. This includes problems at home, trouble at school such as bad grades or bullying. Anxiety disorders can also be caused by brain chemistry of genetics.
- Treatments for anxiety disorders include medication, cognitive behavioral therapy, and certain relaxation techniques