March 24, 2023
New Additions to WFS!
We love our new banners hung proudly in our gym and cafeteria! These beautiful designs remind us to Be The Three: READY, KIND & SAFE!
Thank you to the WFS PBS Team for this fantastic idea and for the purchase of SIX banners. Special thanks to WFS parent & PTO Executive Board Member, Stacey Gill, for the beautiful design.
Your Stuff Misses You Too!
Is your child still looking for that lost sweatshirt, water bottle, or something else?!?! Remind them to swing by WFS Lost & Found located in our cafeteria.
Special thanks to Maestra Karlsson for organizing all of our missing items AND helping our students find their belongings!
Mark Your Calendar!
SHINE: Supporting Happy Individuals Navigating Education
For parents/guardians of children who are in a special education class, resource room, general education class with supports &/or receiving a related service.
Join us for our next meeting!
Tuesday, April 18th, 2023
Board of Education Office
Pages: 10-20 - February 3rd - Friday
Read by: Ms. Salkin
Pages: 21-29 - February 7th - Tuesday
Read by: Ms. Boon
Pages: 30-39 - February 10th - Friday
Read by: Ms. Frederick
Pages: 40-48 - February 14th - Tuesday
Read by: Ms. Bradus
Pages: 49-58 - February 17th - Friday
Read by: Ms. Charles
Pages: 59-77 - February 21st - Tuesday
Read by: Ms. Caruso
Pages: 78-92 - February 24th - Friday
Read by: Ms. Roohr
Pages: 93-107 - February 28th - Tuesday
Read by: Ms. Sullo
Pages: 108-118 - March 3rd - Friday
Read by: Ms. Nicola
Pages: 119-138 - March 7th - Tuesday
Read by: Ms. Dansberry
Pages: 139-160 - March 10th - Friday
Read By: Ms. Perry
Pages: 161-176 - March 14th - Tuesday
Read By: Ms. Cohen
Pages: 193 - 213 - March 21st - Tuesday
Read By: Ms. McGowan
Pages: 214-231 - March 24th - Friday
Read By: Jenna Criscuolo
Pages: 232-251 - March 28th - Tuesday
Read By: Ms. Martin
Pages: 252-269 - March 31st - Friday
Read By: Ms. Rispoli
Thank you to our reading volunteers!
We hope that you are enjoying reading The Wild Robot at home! Roz has brought a lot of fun to our building and we hope that sharing her adventures at home and at school increases our students love for reading!
Check out this article from Scholastic: How to Use Reading Time to Bond With Your Child
Take a look at West Freehold School's The Wild Robot Website for information about the book. Be on the lookout for more information as we kick off this special reading event on February 1st!
WFS Shout Out!
Attendance Letters Explained
1. Unexcused Absences Notification: As per Board policy #5200, this notification is required after the fourth day of an unexcused absence. Any student absence requires a written statement dated and signed in regard to the reason for an absence. Three or more consecutive absences requires a physician's note.
When you receive this notification, we ask that you complete the form and return it to the WFS Main Office. As a school, we are required by the state to document the reasons for every student absence throughout the school year.
2. Excessive Absences Notification: Excessive student absences and tardiness is a concern for any educator as the continuity of instruction is critical for student growth. The purpose of this notification is to formally share our concern with parents/guardians regarding a child's attendance. As we make our way out of a very tumultuous time of health concerns, the importance of school attendance once again becomes a top priority. Under NJ State Statutes 18A:38-25,-27,-29, schools must notify parents of excessive absences as a first step before developing an action plan to improve attendance. Once again, signing and returning the formal notification helps us document this step. Thank you for your cooperation in documenting all forms of communication.
Reporting a Student Absence
Next, in order to formally document the student absence and have it considered as an excused absence, a Parent Absence Form must be completed and submitted to the WFS Main Office. These forms are filed and stored as required by the state.
Thank you for your help and understanding!
For Your Information:
Dates to Remember
Friday, 3/31: School Spirit Day - Disney Day!
Wednesday, 4/5: Early Dismissal Day (12:10PM)/School Spirit Wear Day
Thursday, 4/6: No School/Spring Break Begins (4/6-4/14)
Monday, 4/17: Welcome Back From Spring Break!
Friday, 4/21: Wear Your Brightest Blue - Autism Awareness Month
Wednesday, 4/26: PTO Meeting 7:30PM WFS Media Center
Friday, 4/28: School Spirit Wear Day
Friday, 5/5: School Spirit Day - Superhero Day
Friday, 5/12: School Spirit Wear Day
Friday, 5/19: School Spirit Day - Hat Day
Friday, 5/26: Student Early Dismissal Day (12:10PM)
Student Dress Code Reminder
1. Sleeveless shirts are permitted as long as they extend to the shoulder. Tank, tube and halter tops, including “spaghetti” straps, are not permitted.
2. Tasteful shorts are permitted during the school hours. Dresses, skirts and shorts shall be a length of at least mid-thigh.
3. Graphics or text on apparel that state or suggest obscene or offensive messages are prohibited.
4. Students are not permitted to wear hats in the building; however, they may bring them to school to wear during outside activities. Other inappropriate head coverings such as bandanas, sweatbands, caps and any other headwear deemed inappropriate are not to be worn during the school day or school functions, except for medical and/or religious purposes.
5. The warm weather provides us with an opportunity to go outside on a daily basis after lunch and during outside play. Flip-flops, open backed, or platform sandals are not considered to be acceptable footwear for active outside play, and your child will be asked to sit out. In addition, rollerblade sneakers are not considered appropriate footwear for school.
6. Please remember that classrooms are fully air conditioned, when needed. Your child should be dressed appropriately.
If a child’s dress is deemed inappropriate while attending the school day or other school-related events, parents or guardians will be contacted to bring their child a change of clothes.
Original birth certificate is required for registration. The child must be FIVE YEARS of age ON OR BEFORE October 1, 2023.
UPCOMING PTO EVENTS
The West Freehold School PTO (Parent/Teacher Organization) exists to support WFS students and teachers by building a strong school community, offer fun and unique programs both during school hours and outside of school hours, and volunteer opportunities inside and outside of the classroom.
Be sure to checkout the WFS PTO website for upcoming events!
For Your Information
Important Information About Bus Transportation
Check out the West Freehold School website for important school information.
WFS At A Glance
If applying, you will need your child's School ID Number. It can be found in the family Genesis portal. Trouble logging in? Call the WFS Main Office. Email/call Ali McKee firstname.lastname@example.org / 732-462-8400 x 8809 with any questions.