Gonzalez Premier Express
Week of February 1, 2016
RACING TO PREMIER
Research Matters / How Student Progress Monitoring Improves Instruction
Let's make sure that we are using profile sheets, All in Learning, Istation and Reasoning Minds reports, ESTAR/MSTAR results and other tools that you have available to track the progress. By doing so, we can ensure our students are making toward the mastery of the TEKS for a given subject to make instructional decisions.
February 2005 | Volume 62 | Number 5
How Schools Improve Pages 8183
Nancy Safer and Steve Fleischman
- Ms. Michael, Mr. Riser, Mr. Gonzalez-Perez, Ms. Buchanon, Ms. Cooray, and Mr. Joel Gonzalez for supporting our boys basketball team during the last game. This is an example of how to build relationships with students which in turn support performance in the classroom.
- Ms. Shelby for her leadership in the preparation and coordination of Career Day. It was a great a success!!! see more details below.
- Ms. Edwards for her leadership and support of our new teachers as she lead our New Teacher C3 last week. Thank you so much to all of our new teachers for the willingness to participate and being open.
Pre-K - 2nd Career Day
It was such a pleasure to have had the opportunity to see the eagerness and joy our students displayed during career day. This event was a success thanks to the great team effort and collaboration under Ms. Shelby's leadership. "The extra time, suggestions, and ideas offered to our Guidance Advisory team was much appreciated. Thank you for your willingness to come in and assist me on the Career Day." Shelby said. The purpose of career day is for young students to learn a little about the different careers that are in demand and what it's like for someone in that profession. As you know, careers don't just happen, they develop over time and many times with specific experiences and education. Our goal is that, during career day, our children learn not only about various jobs but also about the education necessary to pursue those jobs. Let's continue to impact the lives of our young senators and making sure that our instruction is focused on helping students to get ready for college and the workforce. Special THANK YOU to the following staff members for their contribution to the success of career day,
- Mrs. Gomez
- Ms. Arango
- Mrs. Meza
- Ms. Herrera
- Ms. Calderon
- Ms. Wilburn
- Mrs. Villalobos
- Mr. Riser
- Mr. Willis
- Ms. Martinez
- Ms. Reyna
- Ms. Brown
- Ms. Corral
Mr. Willis and Coach Crawford for their leadership and support with the basketball program. Our students continue to improve their skills as they improve their behavior and academics.
Uses the E graphic organizer to support students to map out their ideas to write their expository composition and models the writing process for students. By using these strategies, Mrs. Anguiano supports students to have clear expectations, have a graphical representation to organize their thoughts and ideas, and show what mastery look like. This is a way to improve TEI scores in 2.1 and 2.3.
Ms. Lopez - Prek - A
Having an inviting classroom environment with appropriate displays supports students' learning and allows our young senators to make connections to what they are learning in class.
Provides small group instruction to ensure she addresses misconceptions and students' needs at their level.
Develops meaningful stations integrating social studies with reading for students to collaborate. Students had appropriate resources and high quality questions to answer during this time spent in stations.
Engages students in real life problem solving. Students had to figure out a volume problem using boxes and cubes while working in groups.
- National Freedom Day
- Reasoning Minds Middle of the Year window opens through Feb.26th - 2nd - 4th grade math teachers coordinate with Ms. Gomez your assessment times so that ESTAR?MSTAR and RM assessment is not given the same day. We do not want our students to get the feeling that we are just testing all the time.
- ESTAR/MSTAR Universal Screener continues - Ms. Gomez will conduct this assessment in the computer lab for 2nd - 5th grade students.
- Istation Beginning of the Month Testing - Collaborate with your grade level to sign up for a time in the computer lab so that the teacher may be present during this time so that students take this assessment more serious. You may also collaborate with Ms. Edwards to check out a COW so that you may conduct the assessment in your room.
- K-2 Literacy Cadre at Burleson (K-2 reading teachers select one to attend and let Ms. Edwards know which session you will attend)
- K-2 Literacy Cadre at Cuellar (K-2 reading teachers select one to attend and let Ms. Edwards know which session you will attend)
- Folklorico K-2 begins - Ms. Leal. Continue to encourage our students to sign up for this after school program.
- Weekly PLC
- K-2 Literacy Cadre at Anderson (K-2 reading teachers select one to attend and let Ms. Edwards know which session you will attend)
- 3rd-5th Grade Math "Think Through Math Professional Development” 3:30-5:00 p.m. Location: William B. Blair Elementary School (In the Library)
Texas Ballet Theater CityDance 3:15-4:15
- Weekly PD
- 100th Day Celebration
- Folklorico 3 - 5 begins - Ms. Leal. Continue to encourage our students to sign up for this after school program.
- Saturday School
Robotics STEM Day @ Skyline HS - Encourage your students to attend. The event is free and open to the community, but registration for STEM Day 2016 is required (direct your parents/students to our website for the registration link). This event promises fun and science learning for students of all ages. The event will feature a robotics competition, exhibits from this year's science fair, and more than 80 creative, hands-on activities.
Board approves student achievement goals to ‘drive the district forward’
Trustees approved the adoption of six new student achievement goals that Superintendent Michael Hinojosa says will be the catalyst that drives the district forward.
Trustees and Hinojosa developed the proposed achievement goals after reviewing district results and holding multiple workshops. Hinojosa said most of the proposed goals have key performance indicators.
The goals are:
- Goal 1: All students will exhibit Satisfactory or above performance on State assessments. Students below Satisfactory performance will demonstrate more than one year of academic growth;
- Goal 2: Dallas ISD schools will be the primary choice for families in the district;
- Goal 3: The achievement gap by race, ethnicity and social economic status will be no greater than 10 percentage points on all academic measures;
- Goal 4: 95% of students will graduate. Of the graduates, 90% have qualifying scores for community college, college, military, or industry certification;
- Goal 5: 95% of entering kindergarten students are school-ready on a multidimensional assessment;
- Goal 6: All students will participate in at least one extracurricular or co-curricular activity each year.
Keep in your thoughts and prayers
As you may already know, Ms. Poe's daughter was the victim of a stray bullet last weekend. Ashley Wilson, Ms. Poe's daughter, leaves behind a ten-year old daughter. Our thoughts and prayers are with Ms. Poe and her family.
Ms. Smith and Ms. Brown are the point of contact for any donations or other questions you may have.
Wake- February 5th, 7:00pm-8:00pm
Funeral- February 6th, 12:00pm
Location: Cornerstone Baptist Church
1819 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Dallas, Texas 75215
Congratulations Ms. Rojas!!!
WE WISH YOU A HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
- Ms. Edwards - January 29