Olympian High School
"Where Champions Are Made"
Week at a glance
Martin Luther King - Holiday
Tuesday, January 21
English 9/10 Cohort
Wednesday, January 22
Learning Walk - Administrators, Counselors, Psychologists, any teacher on prep is welcome to join
Last day to nominate a teacher for Teacher of the Year
Thursday, January 23
Administrator's meeting - Elaine off campus 8:30 - 12:30
Friday, January 24
Vote #1 Teacher of the Year (to shrink the candidate pool to the top 3)
College Readiness Skill - Analysis January 14 - February 18, 2014
Useful Verbs - analyze, break down, correlate, diagram, differentiate, discriminate, infer, outline, prioritize, subdivide, distinguish, examine, compare, contrast, investigate, categorize, separate, advertise.
Internalized Habits of MInd
- Promote the value of a strong work ethic
- Cultivate sustained effort through repeated practice
- Encourage thinking about the quality of one's own and others' thought processes
- Practice intellectual humility
- Become comfortable with the discomfort of ambiguity
Create Intellectual Curiosity and Rigorous Engagement
- Foster a desire to know
- Require inquiry and investigation
Home groups have reviewed Chapter 1 (Student/Community Profile-Data and Findings)
Focus groups have worked on addressing critical needs and strengths and discussed the mission of school and the objectives. Last Monday, each Focus Group looked at the objectives of the school and worked on developing 2 or additional objectives. The 3 objectives we currently have are the following:
- 100% of the students will exist their grade level "on-track" for a four year college or university.
- Each student will progressively learn to be fully responsible for his or her academic progress and success.
- Each student will develop the necessary academic literacy skills to support lifelong learning and become a productive ethical member of the community.
Before you leave your classroom at the end of the day, did you?
- Turn off your computer, monitor, and speakers
- Turn off your your projector and docucam
- Turn your classroom lights off?