Stop oil drilling!
It's bad for the environment.
Oil rig risks
- If the oil rig explodes or the pipe ruptures we could have another Deepwater Horizon on our hands, in the biggest ocean in the world! Some of the oil from it is still floating around in the Gulf of Mexico.
- The oil extracted from the well would contribute to Global Warming.
- The oil rig would disrupt the local marine ecosystem.
- The rig would be just left there after the well was sucked dry.
- The construction of the rig alone is risky; people could die.
Piper Alpha was an oil production platform in the North Sea. An explosion and the resulting oil and gas fires destroyed it on July 6, 1988, killing 167 men, two of which were the crewmen from a rescue vessel. Thirty of the bodies were never recovered.
The Piper Alpha fire