4/5/16 GS Meeting Reminder & News
4/5/16 Meeting Reminder
We will be meeting this Tuesday, April 5th, from 6:30pm-8pm in the cafeteria.
What to bring:
- Wear your vest or sash.
- Nutrition Worksheet, if your daughter has not already turned it in. I will send a separate email with an attachment of this worksheet for those who need it.
- We will be doing Yoga at this meeting. Your daughter is welcome to bring a towel or yoga mat, but neither of these is required.
Guest Teacher - Staying Fit badge - April 5th meeting
Bethany's mom will be teaching the girls the Staying Fit Junior badge during our meeting this week. Thank you so much Laura!
Annual Powder Puff Derby 4/23 - Registration closed.
For those who registered, Juniors will check in at 1:30pm. The race will begin at 2:00pm.
There will be awards for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and best design in each division. Only cars decorated by the girl herself will be considered for the best design to win. There will be a concessions stand at the event, so bring cash.
Treasury Notes - through end of March
- Credits received: $16451.26 (cookie money turn in/sales), $80 (cookie tshirts), $28 (additional donations to be used towards "shoes for orphans".
- Debits/charges made: $12940.70 (final cookie payment made to Council), $2.53 (craft supplies), $107.80 (badges), $148.29 (shoes for the orphans 18 pairs purchased and donated)
- Current Balance: $5661.83
A Look Ahead
- At our last meeting, the girls were updated on our current troop balance, which included the funds earned from cookies. The troop took a vote and agreed to wait and do our ziplining trip next year, either in the Spring (after cookie sales) or that Summer. This will allow for greater flexibility with our funds and give us time to fund-raise to cover more expenses over the year and add more money to our budget for the trip (i.e., consider extending the trip to 3 nights rather than 2 nights). This also gives us more time to plan, prepare, and book the facilities in advance.
- The girls' next goal is to earn the bronze award. This has to be completed before they bridge to Cadettes. To earn the bronze award, each girl (who wants to do this) will need to put in 20 hours towards the activity. This of course will take time and possibly lead us into working on this in the summer (depending on what the girls choose to do).
- Council has recently added a few new Community Partners. One of them is an Equestrian program here in the Northland. Since the Juniors have a Horseback badge, I wanted to share this with the girls to see if the troop had any interest in doing this program to earn the badge. The program would cover all steps (ex: grooming, feeding, and riding to name a few). The girls unanimously voted to do this program and allot troop money to pay for part of each girls expense to do this. The program per girl costs $35 and the troop agreed to pay $20 towards the cost of each girl who does this activity. This would be an out of pocket expense of $15 per girl. More information to come on this activity.
- A few months ago, the troop voted to go to Powerplay and allot troop funds to pay for the girls to go. I'm considering making this a family event the end of May. We would celebrate a great cookie season and hand out their recognitions. We would reserve one of their rooms so that we could all eat together and celebrate. Then the girls would be free to play games. I'm looking at a few options on when to do this so as to get the "most bang for our buck".
- We will be having a bridging ceremony for those girls who are re-registering for the next year's Girl Scout season. The bridging ceremony will take place before they start off their 6th grade year (so either the end of July or the beginning of August). More to come on what we will be doing to celebrate.
- We are also planning to do a 2nd annual camping trip in late September. The girls had a lot of fun with the Brownie troop and the Brownies had a lot of fun learning from the older girls. More to come on the exact dates.
Dates to Remember
- 4/12/2016 - Day Camp Registration Night at Antioch Crossing, between Vintage Stock and Sears. Girls in grades K-3 from 6:00-7:00pm. Girls in grades 4-12 from 7:00-8:00pm. If you cannot make your designated time or have girls in both age groups, please come any time 6-8pm.
- 4/19/2016 - GS Meeting
- 4/23/2016 - Annual Powder Puff Derby. Registration Closed.
- 4/30/2016 - Northland Encampment
- 5/03/2016 - GS Meeting
- 5/2016 - Cookie incentives arrive sometime in May.
- 5/17/2016 - GS Meeting **This meeting may be pushed back one week due to events taking place at various NKC elementary schools.****
- 5/30/16-6/03/2016 - SU Day Camp