The Warrior Wire
Brook Haven Middle School, January 2020 Edition
Jumping Into 2020!
We are partnering with local agencies to bring you important parent education nights and we want to encourage everyone's participation. These opportunities are great not only for the information that is presented but also to network with other parents who are facing the same issues and challenges. We have to remember that we aren't in this alone!
Currently, we have three evenings planned at Brook Haven and we'd love to hear what other topics you'd like to learn more about. If you have an idea or interest, please contact Sara Gramm, firstname.lastname@example.org or Molly Bulwa, email@example.com.
- Wednesday, January 22- 6pm Digital Safety with Sonoma County Sheriff's Office
- Wednesday, March 11- 6pm Marijuana & Vaping for Parents & Students with Sonoma County Behavioral Health & Panaptic
- TBD- Raising Resilient Tweens & Teens with Dovetail Learning
As always, we value and appreciate our partnerships with our families. Teaming together ensures success for all students and that's our #1 priority.
Happy New Year!
First Semester Report Cards will be mailed home on 1/22!
Here are a few highlights from each grade level:
- Fifth graders are studying the impacts, both positive and negative, of technology on society. They are discussing and learning about everything from the cotton gin to self-driving cars. Just this week they also visited Ragle Park for a docent-led "Weather or Not" program during which students hiked throughout the park investigating various weather tools, climate, and weather patterns. In enrichment, students are designing and testing popsicle stick suspension bridges to see which designs can support the most weight.
- Sixth graders were welcomed back to school with an Ancient Egyptian themed Escape Room during which they had to work together to solve clues to discover a tomb. Many of the Escape Room supplies were donated by our local Sebastopol Hardware store! In English-Language Arts, they are currently learning to research and write persuasive essays.
- Seventh graders are studying Medieval China and are working hard on making connections between things invented between 618-1644 C.E. and their daily lives in 2020. In English, students are finishing up an informational essay that analyzes the changes in the movie adaptation of The Giver and how the changes affect the plot and mood of the story.
- Eighth graders are reading primary sources from pioneers to the west and utilizing them while packing (imaginary) wagons to get ready as they start their journeys across the Oregon Trail. In English-Language Arts, students are polishing up a research paper on a topic of their choice related to the Holocaust and/or World War II.
Way to be a Warrior! Here's a look at what one of our BHS alumni is up to today!
SEF In 2020!
Hello Brook Haven Families!
Currently, planning is underway for the 2nd Annual Gala which will be held on Saturday, February 22, 2020, in the Park Side Multi-Purpose Room.
This evening of food, entertainment and auction items can't happen without your help! If you, your employer or others you know would like to donate items for auction, please reach out to Deirdre Lordan at (707) 304-0697 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Can you think of another way you can help? Don't hesitate to contact Deirdre.
Mark your calendars for a fun evening of celebration and fundraising, all for our schools!
SEF Events 2020:
● SEF Board meeting @ Brook Haven Room 3: Jan. 21, 6-8 pm
● 2nd Annual SEF Gala: Feb. 22
● Popcornopolis Sale: Beginning mid-March
● SEF Board meeting @ Location TBA: April 21, 6-8 pm
● Brook Haven Color Run: May 14
● Park Side Color Run: May 15
● SEF Board meeting/Elections/Thank you Reception @ Location TBA: June 2, 6-8 pm
Do you have questions about SEF? Email email@example.com
Dates to Remember
1/16- Last Day of the Semester1/20- No School, MLK Day
1/22- Report Cards Mailed Home
2/5- Analy 9th Grade Info Night 5:30-7pm
2/10- No School, Local Holiday
2/17- No School, President's Day
2/22- SEF Gala at Park Side, 6pm
3/16-3/20- No School, Spring Break
5/14- Color Run
5/21- Open House
6/5- Last Day of School