Edition #14, 2016-17 School Year
Special Budget Update, February 3, 2017
A Message from the Board of Education and Superintendent of Schools
Dear BCSD Families and Residents,
For months we have been working to develop the 2017-18 BCSD budget. Earlier this month, Governor Cuomo unveiled his Fiscal Year 2018 State Budget Proposal. We were disappointed with the amount of State Aid proposed for Bedford Central, which is in essence flat from 2016-17.
Our overall budget outlook for 2017-18 is better than last year at this time when the budget was being developed. There appears, however, to be little room to rebuild or restore reductions in programs and services that were cut in order to balance the budget during the last budget development season. We are working diligently to finalize budget calculations for 2017-18; yet, it is still too early to determine if reductions will be necessary. The "Superintendent's Budget" will be presented to the Board of Education and community on February 28th at 7 p.m. during our regularly scheduled Board of Education meeting.
We have been meeting with our legislators to convey our displeasure with the Governor's budget proposal and the level of State aid currently allocated to BCSD. So that our community is aware of the issues facing BCSD, in collaboration with our BCSD Community Budget Advisory Committee, we have created a BCSD Advocacy section of our District website. Here is the essence of the message we have been conveying.
The NYS Comptroller's Fiscal Monitoring System has increased BCSD's Fiscal Stress Level to Moderate, placing BCSD third in the State of NY in terms of Fiscal Stress. Due to factors such as unfunded mandates and increases in our high need population, costs are rising significantly faster than revenues. For our current 2016-17 budget year, programs have been cut, class sizes have increased, and staff levels have decreased. Nonetheless, BCSD continues to need additional funding from the State of NY to maintain high-quality education programs and services.
See our website for more information.
Two of our legislators, Senator George Latimer and Assemblyman David Buchwald are holding a Town Hall meeting from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 16, 2017, at the Bedford Town Hall at 321 Bedford Road, Bedford Hills.
Please accept our appreciation for your support for BCSD.
Colette Dow, President
Brian Sheerin, Vice President
Dr. Christopher Manno, Superintendent of Schools
More Budget Timeline Information
This month, we will complete our internal budget development. During our February 8th Board Work Session, we plan to present our status to the Board and Community. This will include our 2016-17 budget impact analysis and the presentation of the work of our Community Space and Enrollment Advisory Committee and Community Budget Advisory Committee.
Here are some key dates to note:
- On February 28th, Dr. Manno and Mr. Rubbo, Assistant Superintendent for Business and Administrative Services will present the "Superintendent's Preliminary Budget" to the Board and Community. This begins the Board of Education budget deliberation phase.
- In March, the Board will continue to review and deliberate over the budget. Public input will be important and welcomed.
- Prior to Board budget adoption, Dr. Manno and Mr. Rubbo will provide informational budget presentations throughout our school community. Please watch our website for more information.
- On March 22nd, the Board must adopt any propositions other than the budget to put before the voters.
- On March 24th, the District will publish the first of four legal notices regarding the budget vote and Board of Education election.
- On March 29th, but no later than April 5th, the Board will adopt a budget proposition.
- On April 17th, School Board Candidate Nominating Petitions are due in the office of the District Clerk by 5 p.m.
- On May 3rd, the Board of Education shall hold a public budget hearing in the Fox Lane Middle School Little Theater.
- May 16th is the Annual Budget Vote & School Board Election, held in the elementary school serving each attendance area, from 7:00 am to 9:00 p.m.
Please see this link for a complete budget calendar.
2017-18 School Calendar Update
The District was informed that the "Ratings Day" has been set for Friday, June 22, 2018, which results in an additional day in our school calendar.
Instead of the shortened February break listed in the 2017-18 preliminary calendar, I am now recommending a full-week February break from Monday, February 19, 2018, through Friday, February 23, 2018. The Board of Education will act on this recommendation on February 8th during our regular Board Work Session.