Wanted: Ebola virus
Description and Name
Ebola is a one of the two members of a family of RNA viruses called Filoviridae, and is broken down into five sub-types: Ebola-Zaire, Ebola-Sudan, Ebola-Ivory Coast and Ebola-Bundibugyo. Ebola was formerly known Ebola haemorrhagic fever.
Prevention and Treatment
- practice good hygiene
- avoid contact with bodily fluids of infected people
- avoid contact with things that may have come in contact with an infected person
- avoid contact with bats and non-human primates
Treatment: There is not an FDA-approved treatment, cure, or vaccine for the Ebola virus. Symptoms are treated as they appear. Following basic interventions, when used early, can help improve chances of survival:
- providing intravenous fluids and balancing electrolytes
- maintaining oxygen and blood pressure
- treating other infections as the occur
The Ebola virus can invade any human or animal cell and use them as their host cell.