Northwest Spring Update
News at Northwest Junior High
No Spring Conferences
Due to a conflict in the master contract, we have been informed that we cannot hold conferences this spring. Although it has been the practice to have spring conferences for many years, our current contract language does not support this practice. At issue is the practice of trading one-half day on a non-contract day for the spring evening conference date. Unfortunately, discussions between the central office administration and teacher representatives outside of our building did not result in a solution for this year. I very much regret the loss of the spring conferences and I acknowledge that this decision did not serve the interests of parents, students or teachers. The NW staff has restructured the conference schedule for next year so we will have conferences each trimester.
For this spring semester, NW teachers and administers will be conducting phone conferences with all parents of students who have a grade of D or lower in any class. If your son/daughter is performing at a C or better and you would also like to have a phone conference, please contact the NW Guidance Department at 688-1060 and they will arrange for a teacher to contact you.
If parents have further concerns, please contact me, Gregg Shoultz, at the same number. I will be happy to provide more background information and discuss options for any parent who feels that they will need to arrange time with a teacher for conferences.
Week of Kindness
- The week started with students stamping their handprint on three giant posters to acknowledge the focus on kindness. See photo.
- Wednesday was "Mix-It-Up-At-Lunch-Day." Students and faculty drew numbers as they came into the cafeteria and they sat with someone new.
- Thursday was the Twitter Kindness Challenge. Using the hashtag #nwjhkindness, students tweeted works of encouragement and kindness to each other.
- Friday was Pay-It-Forward Day. Students watched this video https://t.co/iKgyoPsMLi and were challenged to pay forward an act of kindness. Students were also surprised by one anonymous member of the NW Community who hand wrote notes of kindness on cards and taped them on over 100 lockers.
- Saturday was a bonus day for kindness in which a student posted this video http://youtu.be/cZGghmwUcbQ and asked all members of the community to watch it.
Spirit Week April 21-25
- Super Hero Monday--Come as your hero, super or otherwise.
- Earth Day Tuesday--Wear your Earth Day T-shirt or dress up like our favorite organic teacher, Mr. Loots.
- Nerds vs. Ninja Wednesday--Dress like a nerd or a ninja, your choice.
- Green and White Thursday--get into it, there will be a spirit assembly at the end of the day.
- Flip-Flop Friday--Summer is on the way, come wearing your favorite flip-flops. Sock are optional.
- Northwest Gets Happy. This is our all-school video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G17hAfTtvBI
Northwest Talent Show
- Part one: www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6yoP5nBjdY
- Part two: http://t.co/jVP9PKcK7Z
- Part three: youtu.be/18wzDO6pIbU?a
- Part four: youtu.be/qVKODXOodJE?a
- Northwest Track Photos: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/111627845516256852501/albums/6001046022348307169
Burgess Wins National Science Essay Contest
Coming Soon to Northwest Junior High
April 23--Northwest PSTO Meeting, 12:00 pm in the Little Theater
April 24--Remley Viking Relays--4:00 West High School Track
May--Have-A-Seat Northwest Library Improvement Campaign!
May 9--Four NW students will be competing in the National MathCounts Competition
May 15--Wetlands Protection Day, aka, Wet and Muddy Day
May 16--8th Grade Party, 8:00 to 10:00
Chess Club Members Head to Nationals
In addition, Arshaq Saleem and Ziwn Zhou finished among top 6 Iowa players (of all age) based on qualifying points earned in 2013-2014 calendar year. They were the only two scholastic players made it all the way to the top tournament of the year.They battled against 4 other qualified vetran players on 3/29 and 3/30. It was a tight competition. Going in to 5th round Arshaq tied with two other players for the title. At the end Arshaq secured a clear second place by 1/2 behind the leader while Ziwen shared the 3rd spot with another player.
Congratulations to these talented chess players.