Volume 18, Issue 8 Thursday, November 10, 2022
What is coming up?
- Friday, November 11 - E-Learning Day - No in-person school, login to Canvas
- Friday, November 11 - Community Veterans Day Ceremony - See flyer below
- Thursday, November 17 - Student Thanksgiving Meal - see below
- Thursday, November 17 - PTO Meeting 7PM
- Monday, November 21 - Chick-fil-A Dine to Donate from 5-7PM
- Wednesday-Friday, November 23-25 - Thanksgiving Break, NO SCHOOL
- December 5-January 23 - Recycle Christmas Lights at SCE and Admin Building
- Monday, December 19 - Wednesday, January 4 - Winter Break, NO SCHOOL
- Thursday, January 5 - Return to School after Winter Break
Second Grade teachers wrote and received a grant from the Hamilton Southeastern Education Foundation. With this grant, second grade will be getting an upgraded shared Makerspace Station. This area will provide tools and supplies for students to explore science, engineer and build, and problem solve! Second grade can’t wait to share all they learn and create with our SCE community!
Mrs. Nolan’s Second Grade Class also received a HSEF grant for their work with bees and wasps. Mrs. Nolan’s class saw a problem of students getting stung on the playground and wanted to help stop the stings. They spent the past few months researching bees and wasps. With their HSEF grant they will be building a bee sanctuary close to the pollinator field off the playground, as well as adding wasp-deterring items to the playground. “Bee” on the lookout for plans and videos explaining their project!
Click to visit the HSE District's Food Services site and access all lunch menus. The Lunch Menu is available anytime via Parent Square. In the App, click on "More" and "Links."
Call us - Leave a Voicemail - Send an Email - Update SDM
- Is your student going to be absent or late?
- Are you traveling extra days around school breaks?
- Is your student leaving for an appointment?
Please update School Dismissal Manager, or call 317-915-4270 and leave a voicemail, or email firstname.lastname@example.org and your student's teacher .
Thanks! We appreciate hearing from our families.
Where Do PTO Funds Go?
- Field Trips
- Greenhouse upkeep
- Agriculture Day
- Spell Bowl
- Green Home Folders
- First Friday Shirts
- Staff/Teacher funds
- Helper Funds and so much more!
Please visit the SCE website to see the PTO Budget for 2022-2023.
Click here for more information and to sign up for PTO's many volunteer opportunities.
We appreciate your support that helps us make SCE a great place to learn!
Reach out to SCE's PTO team at sandcreekPTO@gmail.com anytime!
Box Tops for Education
At Kroger.com, search Community Rewards. Link your Shopper's Card to Sand Creek Elementary and you're good to go.
Music Links - Songs for Each Grade
Recycle Christmas Lights
JUST THE FACTS:
- This will be the third year for the holiday light recycling program!
- During the 2020/2021 season you helped collected and recycle 3,519 pounds of holiday lights!
- During the 2021/2022 season you helped collect and recycle 4,711 pounds of holiday lights.
- In two years of recycling holiday lights, you have helped recycle the equivalent weight of a Ford F250.
- Your small choices have helped prevent a total of 8,230 pounds of plastic, metal, and glass from ending up in a landfill. You are helping have a HUGE impact.
Please leave only the lights - no tinsel, greenery, or bags that have to be pulled out before they're recycled. Thanks!
Social Emotional Learning Lessons - Week 12
Kindergarten: Growth Mindset and Goal Setting - We Watch, We Listen, We Think
- Students will be able to demonstrate how they pay attention.
First Grade: Growth Mindset and Goal Setting - Everyone Gets Distracted
- Students will be able to suggest behaviors that can help them pay attention when they encounter distractions.
Second Grade: Growth Mindset and Goal Setting - How to Get Good at Something
- Students will be able to identify things they’ve done to get good at something.
Third Grade: Growth Mindset and Goal Setting - More than Practice
- Students will be able to make a practice plan with a partner.
Fourth Grade: Getting Focused - How your Brain Works
- Students will learn about the three parts of their brains that help them think and respond to stress.
Please click here to visit the HSE District Page for more information on Social Emotional Learning.
Social emotional learning (SEL) is the process through which children and adults acquire and apply skills necessary to understand and manage emotions, set and achieve positive goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain positive relationships, and make responsible decisions.
Hamilton Southeastern Schools believes that these skills, along with academic knowledge, will prepare our students to succeed in life beyond their school years.
Social and emotional skills are often referred to as one’s emotional intelligence or EQ. According to CASEL there is growing research that suggests the IQ and EQ are connected and both critical in the development of the “whole child.” Research shows that students with strong SEL skills have increased academic performance and are less likely to engage in risk taking behaviors.
Click to visit the HSE website for this year's calendar and for the next two school years. The Calendar is also linked in Parent Square - in the app, click More on the bottom right, then Links.
Sand Creek Elementary
11420 East 131st Street, Fishers, Indiana 46038
Building Hours 7AM- 3:30PM
Assistant Principal Christina Vetter