5th Grade Newsletter
Science with Mr. Twa
In January we will be researching alternative forms of energy, creating websites, and gathering a deeper understanding of the energy resources we use and why. We will have an assessment over the Earth and space science toward the end of the month.
Reading, Writing, & Social Studies with Mrs. Brittain & Mrs. Harris
Math with Mrs. Hladky
In 5th grade math we will start the new year by learning more about fractions. We will learn all about subtracting fractions with different denominators and also how to convert inches, feet and yards. Towards the end of the month, we will then learn about multiplying decimals. Remember to keep practicing those multiplication facts so we can get better and better! Starting this week students will begin bringing their problem solving journals back and forth to school each day. They will have one problem assigned each day in their journal. Be sure to ask your child to show you the work they are doing in their journal and help them remember to bring it back to school each day! Happy 2016!
January Dates to Remember
Early Release-January 14, 2016
- On Thursday, January 14th, we will have an early dismissal. School dismisses at 12:15.
Early Release-January 15, 2016
- On Friday, January 15th, we will have an early dismissal. School dismisses at 12:15.
End of 3rd Six Weeks-January, 15, 2016
No School-January 18, 2016
- In observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day, there will be no school.
STAR Party & Awards Assembly-January 22, 2016
- Parents are welcome to attend the 3-5th grade Awards Assembly. Please encourage your child to wear their favorite college colors!
Jump Rope for Heart Week-January 25-29th
- Students will be participating in the Jump Rope for Heart activities in their P.E. class.
Time is running out to order the 2016 Seven Hills Elementary
Order by January 22nd, 2016 to ensure your student
has a copy at distribution time.
Get yours today!
Parents play an important role in our success. Please ask your child about their goals and encourage them to work hard in order to reach them! We want to celebrate their successes, and we know that it would be even more powerful if their successes are celebrated both at home and at school!