Literacy Strategy #23 Learning Logs
Teaching Tip #10 by Hannah Cockerill
- Content Areas: Math, Literacy, Science, Social Studies
What are Learning Logs?
- Journal used during thematic units
- Focus is on writing, not mechanics
- Encourage "vocab" words are spelled correctly.
Reading Log vs. Learning Log
Why use this strategy?
- Extended Use-can refer back to them
- Quick assessment-monitor understanding
- Personalize THEIR learning
How to Use this strategy?
- Prepare learning logs: Construct learning using papers that are bound together to take notes.
- Use Learning Logs: Students take notes, draw diagrams, timelines, etc.
- Monitor entries: Teachers should read and clarify misconceptions & gauge understanding.
- Write reflections: Review entries from unit and write a review.