Team Howlers Newsletter
Week of May 2- A Week
School News & Important Dates:
State Testing Dates:
- SC PASS Social Studies Test: May 18
- SC PASS Science Test: May 19
Important School Dates:
- April 11-May 4 - PTO Spring Box Top Contest
- May 3 - PTO Nomination Form https://goo.gl/i4xS64
- May 5- Chorus Concert-All Grades-BTMS Cafeteria- 7 PM-call time is 6:30 PM for singers partcipating
- May 6 - PTO Meeting - 8AM
- May 6 - Library Books due to Media Center
- May 12 - 6th Grade Band Concert-BTMS Gym-2:30-3:10 PM
- May 24- 6th Grade Awards Day- 9-10:30 AM *Parents will be notified ahead of time if their child is receiving a special award from our team
Team Howlers News:
Upcoming Banks Trail Middle School Sports Camps:
- Here is a link with all of the information about upcoming sports camps, costs, and how to register. https://goo.gl/nE0SiW
- The Spring Box Top Contest is underway! Please send in all clipped Box Tops in a zip lock bag to your child's home room teacher before May 4th. Make sure to double check expiration dates before sending them in! The highest earning home room class in each grade level will win an ice cream party.
- We are currently taking nominations for next year's PTO Board. If you would like to nominate yourself or someone you know, please use the form found here: https://goo.gl/i4xS64 Forms are DUE BY Tuesday,May 3rd, and should be turned into the front office! The election will be held at the next PTO meeting...
- Our next open PTO Meeting will be Friday, 5/6 at 8:00 AM. We'll wrap up this school year, elect next year's PTO Board, and begin talking about plans for 2016-17. We're inviting the parents of upcoming 6th-graders to attend, so please make every effort to attend and show them what awesome parent support we have at BTMS! Doughnuts and coffee will be served.
- The PTO will purchase t-shirts for all rising 6th graders again this year! We're working with Southpaw Screenprinting on a design that will be unique to our new Timberwolves.
Parent Portal Information:
Please make sure you check Parent Portal (https://fortmill.powerschool.com/public/home.html) to see how your child is doing in his/her classes. If you should have a question about grades, please contact your child’s teacher directly.
GT Math Website Address - http://goo.gl/Gpb4bs
Regular (Grade Level) Math Website Address -http://goo.gl/DTr7EV
For All: Here we are. The final push to the end of the year. We are starting off with new learning or extending previous learning in both classes. We will still have quizzes and/or tests as appropriate.
Regular Math: We will finish our mini unit on order operations on Tuesday and have a quiz on it Wednesday, May 4th. Tomorrow, I will be giving the students information on our first project: Create your Dream Home. We are still finalizing the project sheet and I will email one tomorrow. The project will be due on Monday, May 9th. Students will have class time to work on this Wednesday after the quiz (if time left) and Thursday this week. Students can work on it at home and over the weekend. We will begin the Math Curse Project on Friday. The Math Curse will be due by Thursday, May 12th.
Regular Math Tutoring Times:
Webster: Tuesday 7:40 – 8:05 AM
Adldoost: Wednesday 7:40 – 8:05 AM
Donnelly: Wednesday 11:05 – 11:30 AM
Regular Math Homework:
Tuesday: Study for Quiz
Wednesday: No HW
Thursday: No HW
Friday: No HW
GT Math:We will be finishing our mini unit on Algebraic Expressions and 2 step equations and have a quiz planned for Wednesday, May 4th. On Thursday through Monday next week, we will explore percent’s in simple interest, markups and markdowns and percent of change. On Tuesday next week, we will review and then start the Math Curse Project. We have a test planned for Wednesday, May 11th on Algebraic Expressions, 2 Step Equations and Percent’s. The Math Curse for GT will be due on May, 17th.
GT Math Tutoring Times:
Donnelly: Monday 11:05 – 11:30 AM
Adldoost: Tuesday 7:40 – 8:05 AM
Webster: Thursday 7:40 – 8:05 AM
GT Math Homework:
Monday: No HW
Tuesday: Study for Quiz
Wednesday: No HW
Thursday: No HW
Friday: No HW
GT Science Website Address - http://goo.gl/gbsvyZ
Grade Level Science Website Address - http://goo.gl/tzuO5y
This week in science we will be finishing up our animal unit and testing on Friday. However, We may take the test on Thursday. Student’s should be prepared for either day. J To the parents that allowed your child to bring in their pet I would like to say thank you from myself as well as for the rest of their peers. We really enjoyed being able to look at the different animals and see them in action on Friday.
Announcements: Students will be receiving their extra credit opportunity during enrichment this week, which will be completed in class during the enrichment period between this week and possibly next. This will help out those students who did not score well on their SLO test.
Homework: Will be given out as needed and this week students should be preparing for and studying for their test this week even if no homework is given.
3rd & 4th Periods (GT) Website Address - http://goo.gl/Gpb4bs
5th & 6th Periods (Grade Level) Website Address - http://goo.gl/GkIU3M
2016-17 Summer Reading List: https://goo.gl/VOA8gS
Students are finishing up their ABC ELA book today and tomorrow. I am excited to see what the students came up with. We will begin working on a hero project on Wednesday this week. The students will be creating their own super heroes and super villains. This will be due next Tuesday, May 10. This always makes for a great project.
4th 9 Weeks Independent Reading Project: Students are to select a novel to read independently this nine weeks. Students should show this novel to me to make sure that it is approved. Students were given a sheet on Tuesday, March 15, explaining the project. Students will have to complete one 60 point and one 40 point activity for the book they are reading. There are several activities for the students to choose from. This project will be due on Friday, May 13. Here is a link to the information about this project that students were given in class on March 15: https://goo.gl/AerJBw
If your child needs some help choosing a book to read, he/she can come to me for some suggestions or you may go to http://www.scholastic.com/bookwizard/ - there are several options to search by such as: similar book to one they liked or by series.
Monday to Thursday:
*Read 20 minutes--work on 4th Quarter Reading Project due May 13
Upcoming Tests and Projects:
Tuesday, May 2: End of class the ABC ELA Book Due
Tuesday, May 10: Hero Project Due
Friday, May 13- 4th Quarter Book Project due
GT Social Studies Website Address - http://goo.gl/vpvnQI
Grade Level Social Studies Website Address - http://goo.gl/qjJ94y
This week we will be finishing our West African kingdoms unit on Monday by playing a gold/salt trade game. On Tuesday, we will be reviewing for Wednesday’s exam. Study guides will be due on Wednesday. Beginning on Thursday, we start our end of the year project. The project will pertain to travel and geography, highlighting some of the areas we have covered in class. Details will be posted on my website once it has been explained to students. The project will be due Thursday, May 12th and most ,if not all work, will be done in class. This will still give us about one week to review for the Social Studies Pass test on May 18th. Thank you and have a great week!