DC Scholars Public Charter School
News for SY 23-24
Welcome from the Principal
Dear DC Scholars Families,
I hope your summer vacation is off to a great and safe start. As we prepare for SY 23-24 over the summer, we want to welcome our new families to the DC Scholars community and extend a warm welcome back to our returning families.
At DC Scholars PCS, we are committed to providing a nurturing and inclusive learning environment where each scholar can thrive academically, socially, and emotionally. We believe that education is a partnership between the school, families, and the community. Together, we can create a supportive and inspiring atmosphere that allows our scholars to reach their full potential.
As we embark on this new academic year, we are thrilled to announce some exciting developments and initiatives that we have planned for SY 23-24:
1. More Instructional Time: Based on data and feedback about incorporating tutoring, we are extending our school hours on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. Our new hours will be 8:00 am until 3:30 pm. This means dismissal occurs for all scholars at 3:30 pm. We will continue early release Wednesdays for teacher development and student data analysis.
2. New Data Platforms: In recognition of the evolving digital landscape, we are investing in cutting-edge data platforms to help ensure we are helping each scholar in the best way. Also, based on family feedback, our new platform will provide weekly progress reports to review your scholar's attendance, grades, and behavior data!!!
3. Parent-Teacher Collaboration: We are excited to share that after an extensive interview process, we have been selected by the Flamboyan Family Engagement Partnership as a new partner school! Through this partnership, we will learn new and innovative ways to engage you in your child's educational journey. We will organize workshops, conferences, and events throughout the year to foster a strong partnership between parents and teachers. We encourage you to use these opportunities to engage with our faculty and staff.
4. Student Support Services: We are committed to providing comprehensive support to our students. To align our student support and wellness program here at DC Scholars, we have added a new elementary counselor to our school program. Our dedicated team of counselors, learning specialists, and support staff are here to ensure that each scholar receives the assistance they need to succeed academically and emotionally.
5. New Curriculum Additions: We believe in the importance of a well-rounded education. Therefore, we have added a Social Studies course and PATH to High School Curriculum for our middle school scholars. Additionally, we are starting a new Science Curriculum for our 3rd thru 8th grade scholars.
The success of our scholars lies in the strong partnership between home and school. Your involvement, support, and open communication are vital to creating a thriving educational community. We encourage you to contact us with any questions, concerns, or ideas you may have throughout the year.
Let's make this academic year one filled with growth, discovery, and achievement. Thank you for entrusting us with your child's education. We look forward to an incredible year ahead!
DC Scholars Open House
Thursday, Aug. 17th, 12-3:30pm
5601 East Capitol Street Southeast
See you soon!!!
SY 23-24 School Calendar
Click this link to order your uniform shirts online or for additional store details for in person shopping.