By Karalissa Hranitzky
Accomplishments and Outcome of Voyages
1. Became the first European mariner to round the southern tip of Africa, opening the way for a sea route from Europe to Asia.
2. His ships rounded the perilous Cape of Good Hope and then sailed around Africa’s southernmost point, to enter the waters of the Indian Ocean
3. Opened the door to increased trade with India and other Asian powers
4. He also prompted the explorer Christopher Columbus, then living in Portugal, to seek a new royal patron for a mission to establish his own sea route to the Far East.
He also was a helpful person.
2. Bartholomeu Dias was the sailing master of the man-of-war (warship) San Christovao.
3. Dias named the tip of Africa ‘Cape of Storms' because of the storm they had encountered when they first sailed past it.