MUSTANG PARENT ALERT
T. L. Marsalis Elementary STEAM Academy
August 2021 Monthly Parent Newsletter
A NOTE FROM THE PRINCIPAL
August 23, 2021
Hello Mustang Families!
Thank you all for a wonderful first week of school. It has been exciting to see all of our new and returning students' faces back on the campus. We appreciate your support and are ready to provide high-quality STEAM instruction to all of our students, in spite of the adjustments we are having to make to ensure we keep everyone safe. Thank you for your patience with arrival and dismissal. For our returning families, arrival and dismissal is taking a little longer than last year due to us having more students on campus. Please continue to be patient as we get faster each day.
As a reminder, masks are required for students and staff. Please ensure that your child is entering our building with a mask and talk with them about proper mask wearing. We are looking forward to another great week at Marsalis! Please let us know if you have any questions.
ARRIVAL AND DISMISSAL REMINDERS
- Our school opens at 7:20 a.m. Only bus riders and PK3 students need to enter at the Scottsboro (bus lane) door. All other students must enter at the front entrance.
- School begins at 7:45 a.m. and a student is tardy at 8:05 a.m. Recording of tardies will begin this week and can affect your child's overall attendance.
- Students begin picking up breakfast from the cafeteria with their teachers at 7:40 a.m. and eat in their classrooms. Breakfast concludes in the cafeteria at 8:05 a.m. All students who arrive after this time will miss the breakfast period.
- Dismissal begins at 3:15 p.m. If you would like to pick your child up early, they will need to be picked up prior to 2:45 p.m. Please understand that your child will be missing valuable instruction and parent conferences will be held for students who have frequent early releases.
- If your child is a bus rider or is being picked up by a daycare facility, please be sure to notify your child's teacher.
BUS SAFETY REMINDERS
Please share with your child(ren) the importance of bus safety. Students are to wear seatbelts, if applicable, obey the bus drivers' directives, and most importantly, stay seated while on the bus. Parents, also remember to be at the appropriate bus pickup locations on time. Our bus drivers routes do not service Marsalis only.
TECHNOLOGY FOR STUDENTS UPDATE
All returning students who have a technology device (IPad or Chromebook) that was issued by any Dallas ISD campus, please return the device to the campus so that it can be inventoried and available for your child's use at school. All new students to Dallas ISD will be receiving devices once our school is scheduled for pickup. Returning students do not receive new devices.
If you are having any issues with your devices, please contact the Information Technology Department. Their website is https://www.dallasisd.org/Page/66791
DEADLINE TO REQUEST FREE HOME INTERNET
Students who are without home internet have the opportunity to apply for a high-speed free home internet connection for the 2021-2022 school year. The application deadline is August 31, 2021, and families can visit https://tinyurl.com/dallasisdinternet to apply.
A home wired internet connection provides more reliable internet service than mobile hotspots. Need help or have questions? Call the Dallas ISD Connectivity Hotline at 972-925-6000.
STAY CONNECTED TO YOUR CHILD'S TEACHER(S)
- Check out our school website (www.dallasisd.org/marsalis) for our teachers' Google site. These sites will provide you with specific information and resources for your child's specific grade level. Click on our "Academics" tab and select "Grade Level Classes" to locate the teachers' pages.
Students are expected to be in the correct school uniform each day. Parents will be called to bring the appropriate clothing if students are out of dress code. Please be reminded that the only color for uniform bottoms is khaki.
One of our STEAM Academy commitments is to the social and emotional learning of our students. Each morning our students participate in a "SEL MEET UP" with their homeroom teachers and fellow classmates. This daily activity is the building block for our classroom communities.
Our SEL focus for August includes:
1) Demonstrating an awareness of one's emotions, thoughts, and values
2) Considering the well-being and safety of self and others when making decisions