J.R. Irvin Elementary Weekly Staff Newsletter - September 30
Thank you for putting in another great week here at school and for being incredible!
We will have the "Brag Board" up in the lounge on the magnet board starting on Monday. Just write a quick blurb about a teacher and post. (ie. Leah is working so hard for her new student). You can keep it anonymous if you want. At the end of each month, I'll do a drawing for a prize.
* RISE/Clubs/Genius Hour starts! Be patient. Be flexible. It will be bumpy at the start, but we'll find our groove and we will give our kiddos are awesome experience. Thank you for all the help leading up to the big rollout.
* Make sure you are following Irvin on Twitter. I post some great articles that will help you become an even more incredible teacher! Really good, powerful, interesting stuff out there.
* Something to Think About: If you gave a 10 question quiz and everyone scored a 90% on it, would you consider the class demonstrated mastery? But what if they all missed the same question? What are your next steps?
* Stacee & I are starting to set up some Pre-Conferences for T-TESS observations. We will be knee deep soon enough in observation season!
* Purposeful Talk. Make sure students are talking about their work with each other. Use Peer Tutors whenever possible to enhance the learning of both kiddos.
* Progress Reports should have gone home Friday. Remember that I expect contact with parents when a student is failing or there is a significant drop in average. There shouldn't be any surprises. Make sure your grades are up to date.
“Give the pupils something to do, not something to learn; and the doing is of such a nature as to demand thinking; learning naturally results.”
― John Dewey
A proficient rock star teacher ensures that instructional planning includes:
- Formal and informal assessments to monitor progress of all students
- Substantive, specific and timely feedback to students, families and other school personnel while maintaining confidentiality
- Analysis of student data connected to specific instructional strategies
We will be looking for:
- Formal and informal assessments (hand signals, high yield strategies, etc.)
Using Data to inform instruction (can be informal data)
Communication and feedback (specific to drive student understanding)
Questions to think about:
- How do you check for understanding?
- How do you monitor progress during learning?
- How do you provide feedback to students?
- How do you use data to inform your instructional choices for the lesson?
Please reference your rubric for descriptors of accomplished and distinguished. We can't wait to see the great things you are doing with students!
My heart additionally jumped for joy as I witnessed the many kind acts students did and sweet words of encouragement they said to another peer. A child without a partner? A student jumped to work with him without the teacher asking! A student stopped me in the hall to tell me what a great job another student did on their art in class. You all are doing a great job mentoring our kiddos. Community is so important to the success of any organization. Community is what keeps us going when things are challenging and when we're weary. I am confident that our students feel loved and valued not only by their teachers, but by their peers. That is a direct reflection of the character education you are inserting into your days. Well done Irvin Incredibles!
- October 3 - Bookfair continues
- October 3 - Clubs begin for grades 2-5
- October 3 - RISE Time begins
- October 3 - Staff Meeting
- October 4 - Flu Shots 2:30-3:30 - Please help cover each other's classes.
- October 5 - Fire Drill
- October 5 - RtI Tier Meeting on conference periods
- October 6 - Maker Faire 6:00-7:30pm
- October 7 - Genius Hour begins
- October 11 - Site Based Committee Meeting 3:30
- October 13 - PTV at 6:30pm
- October 18 - Vertical Teams Meet 3:30
- October 19 - 5th Grade meet with Chandler
- October 25 - Data Meeting during Conferences (J&S will come to lead teacher's room)
- October 26 - Second grade meet with Schuster to discuss CBA
- October 28 - 4th Grade Field Trip
- October 28 - Zootopia Movie Night (PTV)
- October 31 - Fall Party (students wear costumes-no face paint)