WLES Monthly Mention
Find out what's happening at WLES!
February - Cooperation and Conversations
The life skill for the month of February is cooperation. Students will be focusing on ways to work together to achieve a common goal. Our students and staff have been showcasing this skill already this year and we look forward to celebrating our collaborations and cooperation!
During the month of January I used the morning announcements as a time to focus on our life skills. We especially focused on celebrating others, showing gratitude and learning how to start and engage in friendly conversations and greetings while in the hallways. Our students really took this to heart! I love greeting students in the morning! In the past I would get a few reciprocal, "Good mornings!" or a smile or wave. Now students are greeting me first and are following up with great questions such as, "How was your evening? How did you sleep? Are you having a good morning so far? What did you have for breakfast?" They are also taking the time to listen to the response and engage in further conversations! WOW! I am so proud of our students! Please encourage your child to strike up a conversation with others as well as I tend to get quite a crowd in the morning. All staff members enjoy getting to have these sweet conversations in the morning and at the end of the day!
Please be sure to check the Looking Ahead section at the bottom of the newsletter for upcoming dates.
WE ARE BETTER TOGETHER!
Mrs. Sara Delaney
Former Purdue and current NFL Lions player Derrick Barnes visited PE to share training and nutrition tips!
WLHS Basketball standout, Kylie Martin came to help encourage PE students to stay active!
Mrs. Wolf's 3rd grade dissected owl pellets as part of their research projects on owls. So cool to see what they found!
Staff Shout Out
Library Birthday Party
Save the Date: Kindergarten Registration
First grade staff members had a little fun on Pirate Day!
Some of the cutest pirates I've ever seen!
K/1 Movie Night was a success! Thank you Parent Council and all volunteers!
With the colder weather, the AM car line is longer. Consider leaving five minutes earlier to make sure your child is in class and ready to learn by 9:00 AM.
Opportunities for Families
- Annual LSO Lollipop Concert - The Lafayette Symphony Orchestra is doing their "Lollipop" concert which features a more relaxed atmosphere and families can learn about the instruments of the orchestra. $5 tickets on Friday Feb 10th.
Purdue Area Track Club - PreK - Grade 6 Indoor Track Meet, Sunday, Feb. 26.
Community Events and Resources
Volunteer Background Checks
Substitute Teachers - increased pay rate to $110 a day.
Lunch/Recess Supervisors and Substitutes - contact Mrs. Marcella Holmes, Dean of Students
We Are Better Together!
- February 7 - 17 - Library Birthday Party Collections
- February 10 - Professional Day for Staff - No School for Students
- February 10 - VIP Dance sponsored by WLDM Club, 6:00 - 7:30 PM
- February 20 - School is IN SESSION as a snow make-up day
- February 27 - March 3 - Read Across America Week
- February 27 - 2nd Grade Field Trip
- March 3 - IREAD3 Practice test during AM for 3rd grade classes
- March 7 and 8 - IREAD3 testing AM for 3rd grade classes
- March 10 - End of the 3rd nine weeks' grading period
- March 11 - 19 - SPRING BREAK