What Canada Will Look Like In 2060

Made By: Sarthak Anand

Introduction

Has anyone ever wondered what Canada will look like in 2060. Well, it will look a bit older of course but has anyone ever thought :
  • How will the demography of Canada change?
  • What will our birth rate and death rate be?
  • Will our immigrants come from the same countries as today?
  • How will our First Nations community change? What challenges might Canada face?
I am guessing most of you answered NO, but don't worry !! because that's why this Smore was made (to answer all those questions). So as you scroll through this Smore, most of those questions will be answered.

Canada's Current Demograhic Profile

  • Population: 34,834,841 (est.)
  • Birth Rate: 10.29 births/1,000 population
  • Death Rate: 8.31 deaths/1,000 population
  • Net Migration Rate: 5.66 migrants/1,000 population
  • Population Growth: 0.76%


The following video shows some of the regional demography in Canada :

A Statistics Canada Minute - Regional Demography

Current Immigration

  • In 2014, 260,404 permanent immigrants landed in Canada, an increase of 0.5% compared to 259,023 one year earlier.
  • In 2014, most immigrants (188,638) chose Ontario (95,814), Quebec (50,294), and Alberta (42,530) as their destination.
  • The Atlantic provinces were the destination for 8,029 newcomers; New Brunswick (2,837), Nova Scotia (2,670) and other Atlantic (2,522).
  • The Territories received 495 newcomers in 2014.
  • In 2014, most immigrants came to Canada as economic immigrants (165,089 or 63%). The family class comprised second largest group (66,661 or 26%); followed by the refugees (23,265 or 9%) and 5,363 or 2% came under “other” class.
  • In 2014, Saskatchewan had the highest percentage of economic immigrants (84%), followed by the Atlantic provinces (80%) and Manitoba (79%).
  • Also by province, Ontario had the highest share of refugees (12%), followed by Quebec and Manitoba 9% each.

Big image
The image below shows the countries that provide the most number of Permanent Residents to Canada as of 2014
Big image

First Nations ( Now)

  • There are 704,851 First Nations people in Canada. Most First Nations people – 403,369 (57%) – live in First Nations communities which are also called “reserves.” The other 301,514 (43%) live mainly in the larger cities.
  • In the 2011 National Household Survey, there were 1,836,035 people in Canada who reported having Aboriginal ancestry. This represents 5.6% of the Canadian population.


The following picture shows the population of Aboriginal People (in thousands) in each region, as of 2011 :

Big image

What will Canada's Demographic Profile look like in 2060 ??

Personally, I think that Canada's Demographic Profile will look very different in 2060. First of all, Canada's birth rate will be very low and its death rate will a bit higher than the birth rate, which will cause the Natural Increase Rate and population to slowly decrease. This is because Canada will soon enter Stage 5 of the Demographic Transition Model.
Big image

Immigration In 2060


  • I think that by 2060, Canada's immigration rate should increase. This is because the Natural Increase Rate is expected to decrease because of the low birth and death rate. Therefore, Canada will have to accept more immigrants so that their Population And Economy don't decline.
  • Also there will a lot more jobs in 2060 than there are now, which would attract more immigrants to Canada, which would surely increase the immigration rate. This will also result in a more successful economy.
  • Pull factors such as Family planning,Good health care etc. will also attract a lot of immigrants in the year 2060,
Big image

First Nations in 2060

  • I think in the next 45 years Aboriginal people will me more educated and start to live in metropolitan cities such as Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary and Montreal.
  • Their population is also expected to rise because recent data shows that Canada's Aboriginal population is growing faster than the general population, increasing by 20.1% in recent years. This is due to a higher fertility rate among Aboriginal women than among other Canadian women
  • I also think the stereotypes that are associated with the Aboriginal people, would fade away. Because as time passes most Aboriginal People will become like any other Canadians.

My Life in 2060 !!!

Sarthak Anand

My Life In 2060 by Sarthak Anand

Conclusion

To Conclude I would like to say that Canada in 2060 will be really different than it is now. Everything in Canada is going to change including the birth rate, death rate, population and the life of people. And I hope most of the questions above were answered !!!

Citations