MMA Montessori Moments
December 10th, 2018
Early Release on Monday, December 10th, 2018 at 1:00pm
PM Early Childhood & Kindergarten: 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM
A message from our Instructional Coach, Ms. Nicoletta, and Special Education Coordinator, Ms. Dana
Path to a Montessori Community of All Learners
Maria Montessori believed all children can learn. In a Montessori classroom, we believe in following each individual child to ensure they grow up to be successful and caring adults.
At Maria Montessori Academy, we strive to embrace the ideals and teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori. The following are some of Maria Montessori’s beliefs about the educational environment:
“An inclusive community is the legacy left to use by Dr. Montessori who valued individual rights and recognized the potential inside of each child.” (pg. 5- Shanks, Building the Inclusive Montessori School)
“Children immersed in a truly diverse learning community grow up advocating for those who are different or less able both on the playground and later in the workplace.” (pg. 7- Shanks, Building the Inclusive Montessori School)
Shanks outlines three steps to building an inclusive Montessori community and classroom:
(pg. 8-9, Shanks, Building the Inclusive Montessori School):
1. Physical Integration- creating the physical space, the child’s right to physical access is acknowledged, accommodations are planned, built, and access is assured.
2. Functional Inclusion- refers to a child’s ability to work and learn within a given environment. The child is working on successfully working, learning and making developmental progress in the school and classroom community.
3. Social Inclusion- refers to a child’s equal and positive social and emotional status in the classroom community. The “ability to gain social acceptance and or participate in positive interactions with peers” during all activities of the school community is the standard for social inclusion.
Our student designed T-Shirts are NOW AVAILABLE
- are partners in peace and model peaceful practices.
- honor the individual spirit of the child.
- support the development of the whole child.
- promote student growth.
- possess a growth mindset.
- value diversity.
- love and give of themselves in service to others
- uphold the ideals and philosophies of Dr. Maria Montessori.
Complete the Nomination Form. Nominations may be shared with the nominee and/or larger community. This month’s nominations are due on December 14th.
JH Snowball Dance
The Student Council is hosting a winter Snowball Dance! Friday, December 14th, 4:00pm – 6:30pm Please wear best dress. We are looking for yummy food donations and decorations – click the trackitforward link to sign up!
Don't miss out on this beautiful evening event filled with delightful music by our 1st-9th grade students. All students have been practicing for weeks for this special evening.
Feast of Ages Play
JH Snowball Dance
Lost and Found
Last Call to Complete Stakeholder Survey!
The survey will close December 14th.
January 15th, 2019
Redwoods student and chaperone payment due
6th and 9th Grade Field Experiences
Payments are coming due
January 31st, 2019
Crow Canyon student payment due
The Gala will be held at Snowbasin on March 23rd from 7:00-9:00pm. To order tickets, please purchase here. Tickets are $32 per person and will not be available for purchase at the door this year. More information regarding the Gala will come soon.
12/10/18 -- Early Release
12/12-13/18 -- Feast of Ages Play
12/14/18 -- Winter Ball Stomp 4:00-6:30pm (JH only); The Dove Nominations due
12/17/18 -- Winter Concert (Whole School Event) 6:30pm
12/19/18 -- Box Top Store
12/24-31/18 -- Winter Break (No School)
1/1-2/19 -- Winter Break (No School); Resume school on 1/3/19
1/4/19 -- MAPA Meeting 8:45am in the Main Conference Room; Intent to Return Opens
1/11/19 -- Legislative Professional Development (No School)
1/14-18/19 -- STEM Week (Whole School Events)
1/15/19 -- Redwoods Final Payments due
1/18/19 -- Intent to Return Closes
1/21/19 -- MLK Jr. Day (No School); Open Enrollment Opens
1/29/19 -- Chili Cook-off
1/31/19 -- Crow Canyon Final Payment due
2/3/19 -- Open Enrollment Closes
In case you missed it, click here to access the 12-3-18 Family Newsletter.