What do workers actually do?
- Attend meetings, trade shows, and conferences to learn about new industry trends and make contact with suppliers.
- Analyse price proposals, financial reports, and other information to determine reasonable prices.
- Negotiate contracts on behalf of their organization.
- Work out agreement with suppliers, such as when products will be delivered.
How to become one? What skills or important qualities are required for this career? Education, licenses, or experience required.
Training: perform basic duties, including monitoring inventory levels and negotiation with suppliers.
- World experience in a related occupation, at least five years of experience as a buyer or purchasing agent.
- An experienced purchasing agent or buyer may become an assistant purchasing manager, supply manager or director of materials equipment, analytic skill decision-making, math skills, and negotiating skills.
Personality traits that would be important for this career.
- $58,760 purchasing agents,except wholesale, retail and farm products
- $55,720 buyers and purchasing agents, and farm products.
- $51,470 wholesale and retail buyers, except farm products.