Building high self-esteem
by Dominic Nuesiri
What is Self esteem?
It is an abstract that mostly deals with the feelings harbored by individuals towards different parts of their lives. self-esteem is related to two basic components.
How Does it Grow?
This self-concept is as a result of a myriad of experiences, relationships and defining factors throughout one's life. These defining moments occur at key points in the development of all individuals. At different levels, the forces of influence and the basis by which one evaluates oneself change. Children are highly impressionable , adolescents are easily swayed by peer pressure and adults have a tendency to relate self-worth with material things or career success. These are the three major areas where one's self-esteem is nurtured or seriously damaged.
Low self Esteem ? How do you know?
- Easily influenced by others
- Participation in self-destructive habits
- Poor communication or social interaction skills
People with low self-esteem usually loose themselves easily to group thinking and have very little confidence in themselves. The trait also manifests in the form of over-indulgence in acts that are potentially harmful like drinking and smoking excessively. They are hard to talk to and always appear to be introverts.
Recognizing High Self esteem.
- Decision makers
- Not easily offended
- Open minded and respectful
- Positive personalities
Increasing Self Esteem
1. Search for the source of low self-esteem- Refers to paying close attention to the issues that may cause individuals to lose confidence in themselves or become unhappy.
2. Identify and accept your limitations
3. Take responsibility for your actions
4. Engage in strength building (Identifying your dominant talents).
5. Seek the Support and Guidance of Mentors
6. Set Goals
7. Practice Guided Imagery
8. Use Positive self-talk